4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2012 4:55 PM by Steven Richason
Steven Richason Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Updated to iPhoto 9.4 yesterday morning. Came home from work and Launchpad showed it as still installing. I restarted, that fixed that.

Ever since, iPhoto has been EXTREMELY lethartgic. Takes several minutes to open (as opposed to about 30 seconds) and forEVER to close (as opposed to about 30 seconds). I have 215GB of photos/videos - I really hope this isn't in the process of corrupting them. I already fixed permissions and repaired the DB to see if that would fix it.

Actually, I was able to mill about the house, write this post and get ready for work while awaiting iPhoto to close (also, it's using bout 200% of my Core i7).

I checked it in the Finder and it looks like this:

http://imgur.com/FN8Ok

Any ideas?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2), i7, 8GB, 750GB
  • 1. Re: iPhoto 9.4 - Takes 8 minutes+ to quit it

OK... I also:

- Cleared out user caches for iPhoto

- Deleted the App and reinstalled 'fresh' from the Mac App Store.

It still takes forever to quit (in fact after about 15 minutes, I gave up and force quit it - will do a full rebuild next - hope I don't have to use my Time Machine backup), but it opens quicker.

• 2. Re: iPhoto 9.4 - Takes 8 minutes+ to quit it

After the DB rebuild, scrolling in my photos section just pinwheels forever and then might show the pictures... might not, becuse it crashes. Please release a fix!

• 3. Re: iPhoto 9.4 - Takes 8 minutes+ to quit it
    Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (123,775 points)

I think you have a faulty install of iPhoto ever since this

Came home from work and Launchpad showed it as still installing.

So, I would re-install.

To re-install iPhoto

1. Put the iPhoto.app in the trash (Drag it from your Applications Folder to the trash)

2a: On 10.5:  Go to HD/Library/Receipts and remove any pkg file there with iPhoto in the name.

2b: On 10.6: Those receipts may be found as follows:  In the Finder use the Go menu and select Go To Folder. In the resulting window type

/var/db/receipts/

2c: on 10.7 they're at

/private/var/db/receipts

A Finder Window will open at that location and you can remove the iPhoto pkg files.

3. Re-install.

If you purchased an iLife Disk, then iPhoto is on it.

If iPhoto was installed on your Mac when you go it then it’s on the System Restore disks that came with your Mac. Insert the first one and opt to ‘Install Bundled Applications Only.

If you purchased it on the App Store or have a Recent Mac you can find it in your Purchases List.

• 4. Re: iPhoto 9.4 - Takes 8 minutes+ to quit it

It was better by the time I got home today from work. I still went ahead and did those steps, just due to it probably needing to be freshened up some, and it's WAY better. Thank you.