Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The age-old outgoing mail font problem

I've owned many Macs for over 25 years. For the last 10 of those years, I've had a major problem with how the outgoing Mail fonts in my emails are being received and viewed by PC recipients (of whom there are quite a few in the world, as we know).

I have read forum posts, messages and threads 'til I'm blue in the face.

At first, I solved the problem by inserting a full point (period) at the beginning of my signature and then starting to type the body of the email after that full point. That got round the problem... until in one upgrade, you couldn't delete text in a signature and if I tried to delete any text in an email create by using this workaround, the text would jump around in the email in a most bizarre way.

Luckily, for Snow Leopard, I found a thread about a brilliant plugin (Universal Mailer which you can download for free or, if you don't want a copyright statement, for a very small fee at: http://noware-it.zxq.net/) which meant I could set the outgoing Mail font to Verdana 10 and, when I received a reply to that email from a PC user, my message still showing as Verdana. Success.

Now that I've installed Mountain Lion, I'm back to trying to email Verdana and, when I receive a reply to said email, my email text appears in large, bold Times Roman. It makes my carefully laid out and formatted emails look truly awful.

I'm going to try the Universal Mailer plugin again and hope it does the trick, but.......

This is no surprise to Apple, it's been happening for years. Yet no-one from Apple has ever responded to any post about it, at least none that I've ever read. Nor has this age-old problem been sorted out. If a plugin can sort it out, why can't it be sorted out within Mail by Apple themselves?

Perhaps it's about time it was put right within Mail so that we wouldn't have to find a workaround.

Please Apple?

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 5:25 AM

20 replies

Dec 27, 2012 12:57 PM in response to JulieStanford

I have been frustrated by this as, it just isn't profesional looking and saying "outlook is interpreting it incorrectly" which is a support response I received isn't helpful. It doesn't matter is Outlook doesn't interperet it correctly - it needs to be compatible for an asthetic appearance.

I haven't had 100% success with the UM signature portion so I actually edited by signature files and locked them to prevent Mail from changing the font size. I prefer both the message body and signature be the same sizes. As far as I can tell Apple Mail doesn't specify in outgoing message a font size/font face and the reciever sees it with their default setting and the signature is usually has a font size (small, medium or large).

Let Apple know to have this incompatibility fixed with Outlook (and other email programs) to have set font and size set with outgoing mail - with signatures included in matching message body text:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Good luck!

Oct 14, 2013 7:37 AM in response to RDH

Outlook doesn't recognize the encoding when you just use the "default" font. You have to make a change in your message, every time.

If you care what your customers see, don't use email. There is nothing in the standard that guarantees they will see what you format. Send a pdf. Outlook is probably the worst client at supporting the standards that do exist.

Oct 14, 2013 8:50 AM in response to RDH

I use Universal Mailer and it works fine for me. The key is to make sure your settings have checked "Force font of outgoing mails" checked and you have your font and size selected. I don't use points.

I just checked again with a friend who has Outlook 2010 and my signature and messages content all match in font type and size. I wrote a blog post about it to help others and the developer is pretty helpful over at his Github page.

http://www.artsassistance.com/apple-mail-font-size-problem-workaround-for-outloo k-recipients/

Oct 14, 2013 9:08 AM in response to Nancy Seeger

Thanks Nancy. I will try to follow your tips. I am away from my mac at moment but pretty sure that the version of the plug in I have doesn't have the same options (I'm running Mavericks). My second Mac has Mountain Lion so will try the corresponding plug in and see.

For all Steve Hobs said about beautiful typography being on of the cornerstones of the Mac it seems ludicrous that Apple have allowed this to slip. Makes us Mac users appear tasteless in the eyes of PC users.

Oct 14, 2013 9:12 AM in response to RDH

For all Steve Hobs said about beautiful typography being on of the cornerstones of the Mac it seems ludicrous that Apple have allowed this to slip. Makes us Mac users appear tasteless in the eyes of PC users.

But, alas, it has nothing to do with Apple and Mail. It is one of the most standards-compliant email clients in the market. It sends properly encoded emails that will display correctly on any standards-compliant email client.

Oct 14, 2013 9:33 AM in response to Barney-15E

Just installed the Mountain Lion version on my MBP and followed the steps. Sent an email to a PC recipient who replied and although my original message is no longer in Times New Roman it is in a drastically smaller size to the still too large signature. Message looks 7pt, signature about 18pts!

Oct 14, 2013 9:35 AM in response to JulieStanford

I see responses in email to this question but unfortunately I don't see them here but here goes.

Mavericks - the developer made a version already for it:

http://universalmailer.github.io/UniversalMailer/

If you want to know WHY Outlook explodes the signature it is because the size set by Apple for the signatures aren't specific points/pixels (pixels if safer FYI). It sets a size of small, medium and large and the email client (in this case Outlook) get to interpret what size that means. Most people have a medium size set (set by Mail).

The age-old outgoing mail font problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.