Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Automator to login to websites

Trying to use Automator to open Firefox, type login name, tab, type Password, click icon. I can't get it to type the Password. Keeps coming up blank. Help

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 6:00 AM

5 replies

Sep 21, 2012 6:12 AM in response to Ed Tignor

You can have a .html file (the site) to open in a browser (or have the site in the browser's home page) - with one click on it.

You can have that browser have the page with your username and password already filled in from last session and remembered already sitting there. One more click and you are logged in.

Two clicks - and you have put automator in the dust.

Sep 21, 2012 7:40 AM in response to Ed Tignor

You can use an Applescript in Automator along the lines of:

tell application "System Events" to delay 5.5

tell application "System Events" to keystroke "userid"

tell application "System Events" to delay 0.5

tell application "System Events" to keystroke tab

tell application "System Events" to keystroke "password"

tell application "System Events" to keystroke return

Regards,

Shawn

May 31, 2015 4:42 PM in response to Shawn Grinter 2

Thanks Shawn - this helped me tremendously to get automator to login to a form-based authentication website. The standard automator didn't really have the examples or the recording ability to track the actual steps I needed.

By getting to the web site login page I was trying to log into, these commands got me the right keystrokes to enter user name and password for the site.

I used the standard scripts to get to the website page -- then inserted an Applescript snippet

run script "tell application \"System Events\" to keystroke \"username\" "

run script "tell application \"System Events\" to keystroke tab "

run script "tell application \"System Events\" to keystroke \"password\" "

Then

Then - I was golden. Thanks.

Using Automator to login to websites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.