Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should i change my Dual 1.8 for a Dual Core 2.0 or wait?

Hi folks,

I have had my dual 1.8ghz for 18 months or so now and i am wondering wether to change it for a re-furb Dual 2.0/2.3ghz (previous model) or either a Dual Core 2.0ghz or 2.3 ghz? The reason i am attracted to the previous models (rather than the Dual Core) is so i can use my existing ram and high end graphics card, neither of which will work with the Dual Core machines. It seems that the price they are at on the refurb store means i would only have to shell out a couple of hundred pounds and get a fresh 12 month warranty as well. I also have an awfull lot of games and software that is obviously Power PC and as i use them all regularly i'm not sure about waiting for the intel Power macs?

Mac OS X (10.4.3), G5:160GB/250GB/2GB RAM/256MB 9800 PRO-VERAX FAN/USB 2 CARD/POWERBOOK: 20GB/512MB

Posted on Apr 5, 2006 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2006 12:52 PM

I have both a Dual 1.8 and a Dual 2.7... the only upgrade I would consider is the Quad. I don't think you will see a real world performance increase between a Dual 1.8 and a Dual Core 2.3. Unless you need the speed for video rendering or compression. I use Photoshop on both and the 2.7 feels snappier... but I wouldn't switch from the D1.8 to the D2.7 for that alone. Now the Quad would be another story. I am hoping that by the time the Intel PowerMacs are released that more software (read Adobe & Office) are UB. I also think the Intel Macs will be blazing fast. An associate hacked Windows XP onto a MacBook Pro (this was prior to bootcamp) and he said it was the fastest Windows computer he ever owned! So, I am waiting. I would like to have a Quad, but the whole PCI-e thing is a bother. And my Dual 1.8 holds up very well against my 2.7... except in rendering/compression!

Mike
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2006 12:52 PM in response to Mark Thornton

I have both a Dual 1.8 and a Dual 2.7... the only upgrade I would consider is the Quad. I don't think you will see a real world performance increase between a Dual 1.8 and a Dual Core 2.3. Unless you need the speed for video rendering or compression. I use Photoshop on both and the 2.7 feels snappier... but I wouldn't switch from the D1.8 to the D2.7 for that alone. Now the Quad would be another story. I am hoping that by the time the Intel PowerMacs are released that more software (read Adobe & Office) are UB. I also think the Intel Macs will be blazing fast. An associate hacked Windows XP onto a MacBook Pro (this was prior to bootcamp) and he said it was the fastest Windows computer he ever owned! So, I am waiting. I would like to have a Quad, but the whole PCI-e thing is a bother. And my Dual 1.8 holds up very well against my 2.7... except in rendering/compression!

Mike

Apr 7, 2006 6:19 PM in response to Mark Thornton

I have had my dual 1.8ghz for 18 months or so now and i am wondering wether to change it for a re-furb Dual 2.0/2.3ghz (previous model) or either a Dual Core 2.0ghz or 2.3 ghz?

I doubt your going to see any tremendous performance increase for your trouble.

The reason i am attracted to the previous models (rather than the Dual Core) is so i can use my existing ram and high end graphics card, neither of which will work with the Dual Core machines

Neither will most of those work in the Quad, especially the graphics card as there is no AGP slot.

Most game engines use just one CPU, a few will throw some sound or other things on the second CPU, but not enough usually to max the second one. Also most 3D games are video card performance dependent, not CPU.

So basically your suggesting upgrading your CPU's for just a few Ghz that you might not even see any great performance benefit.

You might want to consider adding more RAM, a 10,000 RPM 74GB Western Digital Raptor (not the RaptorX!!) as a fresh installed boot drive and keeping your documents, pictures, movies and homegrown music files in new folders on a second internal drive. You should see Mac OS X zip along very nicely with that Raptor, slimmed down below 50% filled with a fresh install of Mac OS X. (always Erase w/Zero a new blank drive)

Since your not going for the Quad, and your a gamer, you should be saving your money for the QuadMacTel box that will be rolling around near the holidays.

With Leopard's virtualization ability or dual boot Windows XP, you'll be able to game with all the titles from both platforms.

With Windows Vista and all the new games coming for that OS next year, the cards are still up in the air if a Mac will run a M$ DirectX video card, but at least you'll have the processing power and CPU compatibility already.

So upgrading your CPU, even to a Quad, isn't such a hot idea with the recent "Boot Camp" announcement.

Apr 7, 2006 6:28 PM in response to Mark Thornton

I forgot to add that a Dual 1.8 might be just as equal performance wise because it's two independant processors. Not two cores on one chip sharing a bus and memory controller.

So if you throw in the slight .4 Ghz (400 Mhz) against the missing memory controller and bus, these two machines might be just about equal.

Not worthy of your time IMHO.

Apr 8, 2006 1:32 AM in response to ds store

All valid reasons for not swapping!

I realise my graphics card won't work on the Dual Core models but i was refering to the UK Apple refurb store having some of the previous Dual Proccessor 2.0/2.3/2.5 ghz models available at very reasonable prices, all of which would work with my AGP card but they've all gone now anyway!
Never mind i'll probably wait for the Intel model and home most of my games and applications are released with Intel updates.

Apr 9, 2006 12:07 AM in response to Mac-Medic

I don't really ned a Quad either and your post is interesting.

Have you tried importing cd's into iTunes? My freind has a Dual Core 2.0 and his imports rip between 10x and 20x but mostly around the 10x mark, but mine will regularly hit 25x to 35x? The only difeerence i can think of is that my drive is a non Apple shipped Pioneer 110, but they are both 16x dual layer drives. This is the only real area where he notices the dual core to be a bit slow. We both import at 192kbps and as mp3's. He also reckons the graphics card in the Dual core 2.0 (6600 LE) is not as good as my Radeon 9800 Pro and he is awaiting the nividia 6600 upgrade kit from Apple.

Any thoughts on these to issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.