Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes player skips songs with iOS6 update

I updated my iPhone4 with the new iOS6. Now my iTunes player arbitrarily skips songs as if they are not there. But when I sync, it shows the space being used by MUSIC. I tried removing all the music and NOT syncing music. And then syncing the music back again. That didn't work. I tried rebooting the phone.

Do I have to do a full restore (go back to factory settings and then restore from my backup) to get this working again or is it an iOS6 glitch? Thanks.

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 6:31 AM

84 replies

Sep 21, 2012 11:04 AM in response to D-Family3

Same issue here. I went out for a run last night, and my usual playlist just kept skipping through, not playing a sound. I switched to my entire music library. It would play a song part way through and suddenly stop. Minutes later another one would start. Some would play all the way through, and a couple in a row, then stop again.

Today I'm seeing that notification sounds are not playing, though when I check, they are very clearly set up to play.

Also having trouble syncing my phone. VERY IRRITATING.

Sep 24, 2012 4:13 AM in response to D-Family3

I have the same problem. I have an iPhone 5 w/iOS6. iTunes is at 10.7, MAC OS is at 10.7.5. When I select a song to play (manually or via Siri), it jumps (randomly) about 3-6 songs and starts playing that one. I have one playlist with 2 songs. When I select it and play Shuffle, it jumps through both and plays nothing. When viewing the 2 song playlist, if I select either song, nothing will play. I was going to do a restore, but from the other comments, I guess it will be a waste of time.

Sep 24, 2012 4:46 AM in response to D-Family3

I find my issues worsening. On Thursday, it would play a song here and there. Then it would stop for awhile, then land on another song and play it. It might even play a couple in a row, then stop again. Yesterday, on occasion, I could get the player to begin a song (but only in Genius) and it would cut out audio after about 2 minutes. You could see that the song was still "playing," but no audio. It would go to the next song, no audio. I eventually switched over to Pandora (I was cutting the grass, then went on a run) and it played fine ... and since I'm hearing other notification sounds, etc., I'm pretty sure the issue is not with my speakers.Another issue, too, is that I can not get my phone to fully sync. Right now, it is again hung up on Step 5 of 5. I've done it every which way, including restarts, etc., and it still won't work. This is with the newest version of iTunes. To say I'm unhappy is an understatement. My wife is holding off upgrading her iPhone4 becaues of all the trouble I'm having. But oddly, other people I know with iPhone4's report ZERO problems.

Sep 24, 2012 5:16 PM in response to D-Family3

Strange that we all seem to start having this same problem around the same day.

I've been playing with it a bit and it seems to be related to iTunes Match, iCloud, and wireless syncing. I have several playlists that I've made a point to ensure the songs are downloaded onto my iPhone 4S using the icon at the bottom of the playlist. However, it appears the reason the music player skips is because not all the songs in the playlists are actually on the iPhone.

I'm currently resorting to hard sync using the cable to iTunes, with the ITunes Match and iClound for my iPhone turned off. It looks like it's going to work. But this is a bit of a pain and not the way it is supposed to work ...

P.S. the balance of my environment includes a 1st gen iPad (wi-fi and AT&T 3G) and iTunes 10.7.0.21 on Windows

Sep 24, 2012 5:52 PM in response to nw_nick

Will give that a shot. My problem is that when I "hard wire" connect to iTunes, the sync rolls through the first 4 steps and then hangs when it gets to "5 of 5" (waiting). It will sit there as long as I let it. I have to eject the iPhone to stop sync on iTunes. Then I have to restart the iPhone to stop the sync there (the curling arrows icon just keep on turning).

I suppose Apple will eventually issue a bug-fix update, and I guess I can be patient. But I do use my phone as an iPod to play music while I run, and I certainly don't much like the alternatives such as Pandora.

Thanks for your observation and possible workaround.

Sep 24, 2012 7:09 PM in response to D-Family3

Got my iPhone 5 yesterday and also having the same problem, both on it and my old iPhone 4 - arbitrarily skips iTunes purchased songs, and shows songs are loaded on my phone on iTunes, but they don't actually show up in my phone. My tones were also not loading. Running iOS6 on both phones, and iTunes 10.7.0.21 on Windows 7. I'm not subscribed to iTunes Match and I'm hard syncing.

I found the only way to get it to work was to tick 'Manually manage music and videos', delete all my music and re-add it and my tones. But if I try to switch back to iTunes management, it stuffs up again.

Also it's been suggested to me not to load music/backups from the iCloud, a friend of mine had the same problem and rectified it by backing up the old phone (I'm assuming most of us have upgraded) to the computer and then restoring.

Sep 25, 2012 10:12 AM in response to D-Family3

OMG! I am having the same problem. I am not happy about it. I tried to download the songs onto my iPhone that I previously purchased so I could get my main playlist back to remedy the situation and iTunes wouldn't let me. They were trying tof force me to stream records I have no interest in streaming. Let me repeat I have ZERO interest in streaming. It was incredibly frustrating. I'm pretty ****** off right about now. I still can't access my music and I can't do a thing about it. I'm frickin beyond mad. The recent purchases button on iTunes doesn't work either.

iTunes player skips songs with iOS6 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.