Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook (not unibody) will not boot from Boot Camp USB Key

Hello

I have a MacBook Pro 2007 (17", 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM and SSD) with a defect SuperDrive, and I want to install Windows using an USB key instead. But the computer will not boot from the USB Key, even though the USB key works on my MacBook Retina. Also I was able to install Mountain Lion using USB Key, on the MBP 2007.

Here is a bit more details:

• I've installed Mountaion Lion from the same USB Key (so boot from USB works).
  • I've installed a Windows 7 Boot Camp using the SuperDrive before (when it was not defected)
  • I've partitioned the harddisk using the Boot Camp assistant (this requires a Windows DVD in the SuperDriver... however it worked just enught to be able to have OS X recognize the Windows DVD, and create the Boot Camp partition). So far so good. Installing from the SuperDriver howerver does not work.
  • I've created an Windows USB Key using my MacBook retina. Because the Retina does not have a DVD, the Boot Camp assistant offers the creation of a bootable Windows USB Key from an Windows ISO file. I've used this USB key to install Windows on my MacBook retina.
  • When I try to boot my MacBook 2007 with this Boot Camp USB Key, it shows an "EFI Boot" option (with a orange USB logo) in the MacBook boot menu. When I select this nothing happpens. The mouse freezes, and the computer never boots.

Questions:

• Shouldn't I be able to boot from an EFI USB Key on this MacBook 2007, when I'm able to install Mountain Lion using a USB Key?
  • When I installed BootCamp using the SuperDrive, I had to do som "magic" to make it bootable. Like this: http://www.logicalvue.com/2009/10/installing-window-7-x64-on-a-macbook-pro-using -bootcamp. I tried doing the "oscdimg -n -m -bc:\efi-dvd\boot\etfsboot.com c:\efi-dvd c:\efi-iso\win7x64.iso" trick and create a EFI bootable ISO and created the from this USB key using http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/. Same result... the USB key shows up in the boot menu, but nothing happens when I select it (except the mouse freezes).

Any suggestions? Right now it feels like I have a bricked computer, because my kids needs Windows to run their games.

: Thomas

Windows 7

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 8:17 AM

Windows Installation from USB drive isn't supported by that model. You may use rEFIt to install Windows from USB drive.

4 replies

Sep 22, 2012 8:46 AM in response to ezybzy

Thanks... I just tried rEFIt... and it almost worked.

After installing rEFIt I got several different boot options:

• Bootmgr.EFI - This failed quick with a "unsupported" message
  • Bootx64.EFI - This actually started the Windows installation with "Loading files.............". But after a few minutes when all files was loaded, the screen went black. I tried ataching an external screen, but the screen was still black.
  • Boot from "Bootcamp" drive... as this drive is empty nothing happend.
  • Boot from "USB Key"... I'm not sure how this is different from the first 2 options... but nothing happend. I belive this is what happens if I try selecting the USB key from the build in boot manager.

Ofcause, whan I saw the "Loading files......" I thought I solved the problem, but as you can tell, I'm still stucked.

Actually... I tried with both Windows 7 64 bit, Windows 8 64 bit and Windows 8 32 bit. Only Windows 8 64 bit, got me to the "Loading files.....". This was created with the Retina Boot Camp assistant.

I also tried my own home made Windows 7 and Windows 8 ISO (created with this link: http://www.logicalvue.com/2009/10/installing-window-7-x64-on-a-macbook-pro-using -bootcamp).

I guess my problem is another now. I'll continue my hunt... but I don't have more time right now. So I've installed Parallels and Windows 8 for my kids. Not optimal, but at least the can play their games.

MacBook (not unibody) will not boot from Boot Camp USB Key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.