Skip navigation

How does "Part Of A Compilation" affect playback?

14842 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2013 9:18 PM by Chris CA RSS
pomme4moi Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 21, 2012 8:03 AM

In iTunes, I  understand what the tick box "Part Of A Compilation" does in terms of the iTunes file structure where songs are located.  But I do not understand what "Part Of A Compilation" does in terms of music playback on the iPad, iPhone and iPod.

Case 1: Let's say I have an album with 10 songs, each by a different artist, and that I have the "Part Of Compilation" tick box checked for all 10 songs.  I then sync my music to my iDevices.  If I then want to listen to the album on my iPad, iPhone or iPod, I believe I can select the album and that all 10 songs will play.

Case 2: If I have the same album, but I do NOT check the "Part Of Compilation" tick box on the 10 songs, will this make any difference during playback on an iDevice?  Can I still select the album and listen to all 10 songs?

Thx

Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • CesarB84 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 24, 2013 4:53 PM (in response to pomme4moi)

Guys, this might be helpful too... I have an iPod Classic 160GB latest generation. I realized I had a couple of aritist that supposedly were synced to my iPod (at least that's what iTunes said when plugged in), but when the iPod was unplugged, it wouldn't show up in any of the menus in my iPod. I even tried doing a manual search in the menu Music/Search, and nothing; like if they didn't exist. Anyways, I realized the option "Part Of A Compilation" was chosen on those that were not showing up, so just for the sake of my own peace of mind, I unselected this, and resynced my iPod, and voilà! After reading your post, I realized you tried several iDevices, but didn't try the iPod Classic, so I thought I should post this too for the other guys out there that might have this issue as well. It seems like the "Part of a Compilation" option works great for those other iDevices like the iPod touch, iPads, iPod nano, but not on the iPod classic. Hope this helps!

• Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,330 points)
    Dec 24, 2013 9:18 PM (in response to CesarB84)

CesarB84 wrote:

Guys, this might be helpful too... I have an iPod Classic 160GB latest generation. I realized I had a couple of aritist that supposedly were synced to my iPod (at least that's what iTunes said when plugged in), but when the iPod was unplugged, it wouldn't show up in any of the menus in my iPod.

On the iPod, Settings > Compilations to On.

Songs marked Part of Compilation will then be under Compilations.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.