Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5. Lower part of the screen blurry.

Took it out of box. Turned it on and BAM! noticed a horizontal line on the lower part of the screen and from there down, the entire screen is blurry.

Already called its a hardware issue. Curious if anyone else had same issue?

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 9:34 PM

Exact same problem, here. The bottom-fifth of the screen just has horizontal lines running through it, making everything extremely blurry. I'm pretty disappointed, since I called Apple and they want me to send it in, but can't get me a replacement until mid-October.

14 replies

Sep 24, 2012 12:28 AM in response to xcop14279

So I went to my appointment at apple store today. Showed it to the "genius" and he said "that's a bummer, we can replace this phone for you. ill be right back." After a 10 minutes the "genius" comes out to inform me that my phone had been tampered with. When I asked him to explain, he said the screws on the phone were stripped, and there were pieces missing inside the phone. Also tampering stickers were also broken inside which as we all know violates warranty and apple care conditions.

He implied that I had opened the phone myself, and tried to fix it which was not the case. I received the box from ups Friday morning at approx 930am. I opened the box and the box inside was sealed. I then turned on the phone and when the screen came on immediately noticed the horizontal line on the lower part of the screen and from there down, blurry.

I explained to him I immediately called apple and set up this appointment. I never did another thing to the phone after. It was still functioning.

After going and forth for 20 minutes, he went into the back again, he came out and explained that "i will get benefit of doubt" and then told me to call apple about the issue.

Two things could have happened. Either a factory employee tampered with the phone or it happened during a layover while being delivered from china. This issue is not over yet.

Fair warning to all and if you have same issue, please post and call apple.

Sep 28, 2012 7:56 PM in response to xcop14279

My daughter's phone arrived with the bottom half intermittently blurry and now, two days later, the bottom half is now blurry most of the time. Also, light blue 1/16" strip at bottom during startup and shutdown.

It's her first smart phone so she still loves it :-)

I guess we have to back it up, erase it and head to ATT or Apple to get a new one. This doesn't look like a software issue. It reminds me of an old TV, except you can't kick the side of an iPhone.

Off topic, I love the maps on my 4S and threw away my TomTom.

Oct 16, 2012 6:10 PM in response to xcop14279

First of all the screen. This is an indication of dead pixels, I am not sure of how is happens, but it is a problem because of the 4 inches. The pixels were not elevated on a higher plane like the New iPad.

Now the broken seals. This happens to a lot of people, Foxcon hired a lot more people to accommodate all of the new products such as iPod Touch 5th Generation, iPod Nano 7th Generation.

Dec 18, 2012 9:52 AM in response to xcop14279

This just happend to my phone. It was probably part of the early batch as I ordered and recieved it on the first available day. Though I've been using it for 3 months without a problem, then suddenly today it just appeared. The bottom section of the screen is blurry and fuzzy. Like others there appears to be a small line of light at the very bottom leaking through. I've rebooted it a few times and nothing changes. I'm backing up now and will be calling apple to make an appoiintment for replacement. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sep 19, 2013 3:48 AM in response to xcop14279

I had the same problem, brand new out of the box... the bottom half was lined and blurry. After reading this thread, I took it straight to the apple store instead of AT&T. They switched the display... which worked great, until I realized the next day that the facetime camera wasn't working. So back I went. Rather than change the display again, they just gave me new one.

Don't bother with AT&T, go straight to Apple.

iPhone 5. Lower part of the screen blurry.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.