I'd like to start a discussion about the new iOS 6 Maps application. Mainly I'd like to take comments from all Users about the quality of the App. Since Apple doesn't have an App Store Page for Native apps where you can leave "feedback" I'd like to make this tread the place.
This thread was spawnrf by the simple fact that the quality of this native App is extremely sub-par (in many user's opinions) and we need a place for the exect's at Apple to see how dissatisfied we really are.
In my opinion, this Maps App is at-best the quality of 2005 Google Maps.
Here are my big issues that Apple needs to quickly get (at the very least) up to par with Google Maps or Bing Maps:
- Satallite imagry is horrible
- 3d building outlines in "standard" mode
- Needs "Street View"
- Subway lines need to be overlaid on top of the map in any mode (currently they only show dots for the stations). And plans of the stations and their exits need to show up (see Beijing in Google Maps for more detail)
- Footprints of building that are up to date...in my home city they still show the old baseball stadium and that was torn down over 3 years ago.
- Include walking and transit directions. Offering to integrate with a 3rd party App is a cop-out.
It seems like this App was design to be just used for Driving directions, which is the wrong idea when attempting your own maps application.
This is just a short list but my opinion of the most important things need to be updated.
Seriously Apple, you're compnay is worth over $100B. Surely you can hire a small army to work on this and make it the best Maps App ever.
In the mean time, call this App a "Beta" and allow users to download the iOS 5 (and earlier) Maps App back on our phones.
This is truly a FAIL, and I think you know that now.
Thank you for you time.