Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS6 on iPhone 4S cellular data (GSM 3G/4G) problems

Having problems with cellular data aka '4G' on the iPhone 4S. Upgraded on Wednesday and can't connect to the internet when off WiFi. This is when LTE on my iPad is working perfectly and '3G' data is working fine on another iPhone 4 (also on iOS6). The only way to get it to work is to enable/disable data roaming. After some time it stops working and toggling 'data roaming' gets it back on. Anybody else experiencing the same?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 9:23 AM

5 replies

Sep 23, 2012 8:38 PM in response to atlantic_jeta1

Same thing on my iPhone 4 ever since I 'upgraded' to iOS6 earlier this week. In areas where I always travel and never had signal problems before, now even sitting in one place I seem to cycle between a good (but short-lived) 3G signal to 'searching....' (with no bars at all) to that circle icon that Verizon uses to indicate no 3G available. I hadn't seen that dreaded circle for a couple of years, till now -- I'm in a part of New Jersey very close to Philadelphia that's saturated with 3G and 4G. The downgraded Maps is the least of my troubles -- I can't use it anyway 'cause I get data only in brief bursts unless I'm on WiFi; on WiFi I'm fine. Tried doing Verizon's *228 to update roaming; no joy. Disabled and re-enabled both Cellular and WiFi in settings; nothing. Any ideas? I'd happily downgrade back to iOS5 but so far it looks like the only real way to do that is to jailbreak ... 😟

Sep 24, 2012 2:54 PM in response to atlantic_jeta1

same here in the UK, i've just experienced it sitting here on the couch in the uk.

this is interesting because I thought it would have to do with switching towers (which is not fully likely sitting here).

the provider i'm using has also switched to 4G, namely t-mobile/orange with everything everywhere.

and to verify, toggling the data roaming in either direction, fixes the issue most of the time.

sometimes i will need to reset network settings, and then toggle.

Sep 25, 2012 9:41 AM in response to atlantic_jeta1

I just brought my iPhone 4S into an Apple store last week because the top button was not working, they gave me a replacement phone that seemed to work. Please note, I have Verizon as a carrier. However after updating to ios 6 last week I travelled to San Francisco. On my way there (I took a train to NYC for the flight and noticed this on the trip) I began noticing that the network was working perfectly but would then just cut out and show it "searching" while a person I was travelling with using an iPhone 4S running ios5 was maintaining 3G connection, also using Verizon. This happened a few times on the way and again once I was there, maybe 10 times total between Thursday and Saturday morning. Then this past Saturday morning, I was using the phone, connected to 3G and browsing facebook, again it dropped the connection and began "searching" for the network, this time however it never reconnected, it just searched for 8 hours. During that time I:

1) Turned on and off airplane mode

2) Powered off and on the phone

3) Soft reset it

4) Reset Network settings

5) Reset all settings

None of these things helped, each time the phone just sat searching. Finally I created a backup to iCloud over Wi-Fi, and erased the phone. Upon booting up it could not activate for about an hour, and kept telling me it could not connect to the cellular network. Finally, it was able to setup and I pulled back down the backup from the cloud.

The phone then worked, but was cutting out from strong 3G connection to "searching" constantly, as in it would connect to 3G for about a minute at full bars, then drop to no 3G with 1 bar for about 10 seconds, then searching for about 2 minutes. It would cycle through this all day. I then flew back to the east coast yesterday. Upon arriving in NYC and taking my train home, the entire 3 hour ride was cycling as noted above, full 3G -> no 3G and 1 bar -> searching. All the while my co traveler had no issues again. Now that I am back home, the connection has gone back to pretty consistent, dropping about twice last night and 3 times so far today. I have no confidence that this will not happen again and do not know if it is an issue with getting a bum refurb as a replacement that has antenna issues, or if it is software related since it seems a few others have been having the same issue as seen here and also in this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4336440

Oct 15, 2012 10:59 AM in response to atlantic_jeta1

Same problem after upgrading to iOS6 on a 4S. I have to constantly toggle the data roaming to get my 3G data service working on the iPhone. I reset all the network settings, even did a total restore from scratch, same issue. Verizon says my phone is defective, I say that is a lame excuse, my data worked fine before iOS 6, and it works when I toggle the data roaming. iOS6 is nice, but this really *****.

iOS6 on iPhone 4S cellular data (GSM 3G/4G) problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.