Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2007 24" iMac eSATA ports

For anyone out there interested...

I have successfully installed 2 eSATA ports on my 24" 2007 Aluminum iMac.

I am very impressed with the results!

I am running Mountain Lion off an internal SSD (which I also upgraded) and can boot from external eSATA connected drives.

If anyone would like more information on how to do this, lemme know.

I found that when I was seeking this info, it was rather scarce on the web. Not anymore! 😉

It's not that tough an upgrade... especially if you do it the way I did.

And it costs approximately $60 (usd) in parts, give-or-take shipping, etc, etc.

Cheers!

J.

P.S. I passionately love Apple & their products, but I must admit, my greatest disappointment is the lact of eSATA support. I get the Thunderbolt perspective... but eSATA is just one of those standards that is waaaay too common and will be around for a very, very long time. Just support the **** thing.

iMac, Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 8:59 AM

6 replies

Sep 21, 2012 12:37 PM in response to BDAqua

It's really straight-forward, actually.

Here is a parts list:

The eSATA port to SATA cables you can buy almost anywhere.

The Mini PCIe to SATA card I purchased from M-Factors, $35

http://www.mfactors.com/pm362-sata-to-mini-pcie-adapter

It shipped really fast, I was impressed. It also seemed to work fine (and still is) without installing drivers. It was recognized and booted off an external drive without hitting the option key. Pretty cool.

The reason you MUST purchase this card, as opposed to any other is the proximity to the LCD screen. There is absolutely no room between the card and the LCD. Other manufacturers' cards required people to solder eSATA connections. I can't risk my iMac or external drives failing, so I needed a more refined solution.

Try as hard as I could, I couldn't find 90 degree SATA to eSATA cables anywhere. Just crazy!

So I purchased the BYTECC 90 degree Male-Female adapters from Newegg.

Pulled out the Airport Card, plugged them new parts all-together, et voila!

I decided to drill holes in the bottom perferated grill on the Aluminum housing. Not the most beautiful of solutions, but it works!

User uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

May 16, 2013 9:26 PM in response to ocgd

The tricky part is putting the aluminum bezel back on. It doesn't quite fit because the L SATA joints push a litte on the "chin" of the bezel.

Also, the SSD is a little further away from the SATA cable inside, so it has to be rigged a little to get it to reach, OR replace the cable with a longer one.

Lastly, drilling the holes in the bezel for the eSATA ports is tricky to do it cleanly.

After all that, it's not that intimidating, really, if you've replaced a hard drive before.

You DO lose the airport card slot. No more wifi, unfortunately. But you still have blue tooth.

2007 24" iMac eSATA ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.