Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An unknown error occurred (1140) - iPhoto synchronization - iTunes

I have an iPhone 4S and updated to iOS 6. When I syncronize I receive an unknown error message (1140) and I can't syncronize my pictures.

I tried deletting the iPod Cache, didn't work

I tried repairing the iPhoto database (launching the iPhoto with Option + Command depressed), didn't work

I updated also my iPad (3rd generation) and iPod Touch (2nd Generation)... the same problem in all of them.

I have a MacBook Air with Mountain Lyon (10.8.2), iPhoto 11 and iTunes 10.7

Anyone can help please?

Thanks

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 9:03 AM

29 replies

Sep 23, 2012 6:54 PM in response to aponcio

I just experienced this problem with my 3GS after updating to the latest version of iPhoto.

With your phone connected to your computer and iTunes open, go to the device page in iTunes for your phone and select the photos tab. Then uncheck "Sync Photos from...". You have the option of keeping or deleting the photos from your phone (I kept mine).

There seems to be some sort of problem created by the iPhoto update that's interfering with syncing process. Taking this step allowed my phone to sync properly. I suspect we'll have an iPhoto update shortly that will rectify this problem.

Sep 24, 2012 10:46 AM in response to aponcio

Deselecting "Sync Photos from..." stops the error and allows you to sync but it does not solve the problem because you cannot sync photos. Sync'ing photos is a really great feature and by deslecting the "Sync Photos from..." check box you lose this feature. Does anyone know how to resolve this problem and keep the "Sync Photos..." option??

Sep 24, 2012 11:22 AM in response to maxio99

There is a workaround that works for some. If your music collection is large, and you have a lot of slideshows with music in them, it might be more trouble than it's worth.

The workaround is to go to Library➡iPhoto Library (you'll have to right click the folder to select Show Package Contents) and open the XML file in TextEdit or some other text program. Then you'll have to search for "& " (without the quotation marks, but with a space after the & sign. When it finds this string, look a line or two up and you'll see what iPhoto album contains the "offending" string. Jot down each album that has this string, then close the text editor, open iPhoto, and modify the albums to remove that song.

(You can search this forum for a more detailed procedure...above is from memory).

Sep 27, 2012 2:38 AM in response to aponcio

I had the same problem and it seems that the problem is linked to iPhoto. What worked for me was the following;

Launch iPhoto and select minimum of 2 photos or an Event.

Then start a slideshow. Play Slideshow icon is in the middle of the bottom of the iPhoto frame.

When the playback starts, click on the gear icon (Settings) and then the Music tab.

Uncheck the "Play Music During Slide Show" check box then Save as default. (later you can set this back)

Your iPhoto events should now show up correctly in iTunes and the sync will no longer have error 1140

Sep 28, 2012 6:20 AM in response to AtomMan

I have unchecked "Sync photos" and chose to keep photos. This solved the 1140 error issue, but when I tried to check "Sync photos" again, it only gives me an option to syn the entire photo library. Is there a way to restore syncing photos to how it was before? Shall I delete all photos from iPhone, and then try again?

Oct 1, 2012 10:55 AM in response to aponcio

Same problem here, too. Affects iPad 3, iPad 2, iPhone 4, and new iPhone 5. Unchecking photo sync enables sync to work again (as others have reported), but of course photos cannot by sync'd. Sometimes the devices sync photos anyway -- even though iTunes has been told not to sync. Sometimes the unchecked checkbox checks itself again at random and sync fails again. Other nutty stuff happens in iPhoto too. It's all since the iOS and iPhoto updates.

Oct 1, 2012 11:18 AM in response to aponcio

Today I was in an Apple Store, and four Apple Geniuses could not solve this problem. It seems to have something with large iPhoto Libraries, because when I started iPhoto up with a small library (1,100 photos), the problem did not occur. In iTunes, under the Photo's option "Sync Photos," if the iPhoto library is large (38,000 photos), the option to select the radio button "Selected albums, Events, and Faces" is grayed out, and you cannot select it.

User uploaded file

My guess is that since the large iPhoto library will not fit on your iOS device, iTunes throws the 1140 error.

User uploaded file

As others have noted, if you uncheck "Sync Photos" in iTunes, the rest of things will sync instead of throwing the 1140 error message.

But you don't have synced photos then.

The Apple Store told me they have no solution for this error. We should file iPhoto Feedback, and that this issue has been escalated to Apple Engineering.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphoto_ios.html

An unknown error occurred (1140) - iPhoto synchronization - iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.