Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Did anyone receive a scratched Iphone 5 today?

Hi

I unboxed my new Iphone 5 today and noticed a small imperfection on the bumper located about an inch or so up the right side of the phone from the bottom. There are 2 small marks perhaps form a tool used to set the screen. I was wondering if anyone else noticed anything wrong with the finish on their Iphone 5 from the factory.

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 10:48 AM

13 replies

Sep 21, 2012 2:04 PM in response to Nate B-

thats my point exactly. Well I spoke to apple that told me they would replace it but I pre ordered form at&t and it was up to them. Apple was more than helpful but when I finaly got at&t to give me an answer they told me they have no Iphone 5's and any replacement would go through the apple store. I am waiting for a call back form apple now...

Sep 21, 2012 3:31 PM in response to IconMoto

O and I have to go to apple store on Sunday unless of Corse I want to go to FedEx the phone back and wait for a new one to show up. Hopefully I will still be able to get one by then. I was thinking about what c13heh said... it's a good point... I'm sure apple has thought of everything and perhaps has a side inventory for broken or damaged iphone 5's

Sep 21, 2012 4:05 PM in response to IconMoto

I called apple and they told me I could go to a store and ask to speak to a manager today and MAYBE they will have a replacement in stock, but it wont come in a new packaging and from what im reading on the web will probably also have imperfection in it which is why its a replacement. It's 100 degrees outside today and I don't feel like dealing with that circus, as I know when I get down there I probably will have to wait ten hours to find a manger only to be told im out of luck so I asked if they could send me a replacement and I would send them this one back.

They told me the only way they would send me a new phone is if I put a $700 cc hold on a card in case I steal one of the phones and not send one back.

This is absurb customer service. Looks like with Jobs passing apple's products and service have now passed on as well.

Every other company I have ever bought something from and the product was defective sent me a new item with a box to return the defective product no questions asked. Im thinking of posting the full audio on youtube I had with the apple care employee, he was rude, he called me "man" and then acused me of using unprofessional language after he already started using slang... And referred to me as "man" instead of Sir. I am a vet, and work in customer service and if I ever called someone "man" while dealing with a complaint I would be fired no questions asked.. He then hung up on me....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAW2FtKrhmM

There is the youtube video clearly showing the scratch.

Sep 22, 2012 12:26 PM in response to IconMoto

I have the same two marks. Two nicks in the aluminum siding. I thought at first it was me but I babied it since I took it out of the box. I think the white will potentially have less noticeable imperfections. I may swap my black for a white. Any thoughts on Black vs White? The whole phone is not near the quality of the previous 4 or 4s. It is surprising.

Sep 28, 2012 9:37 AM in response to IconMoto

Yep, just got mine two days ago, and a nick in the black aluminum on the bottom, above the left speaker holes. I think I know how this is happening. I work in manufacturing and also use CNC machines, and this is how the iphone metal surround is made. When the machine starts and then stops at the point when it's done, it might not be stopping at the end point, or going past it, making these marks.. For ex, when you draw a circle, and then stop your circle when you meet the original point... If you keep going, it will overlap and you'll see it. While CNC's are great and exact for micron mesurements, if it's not dialed in 100% perfect, there you go..

Apple and the operators of these machines probably have no clue this is happening and it probably doesn't happen on every aluminum shell, just certain batches. Too bad for us. I'd just like to get a phone that looks perfect out of the box. I called apple and was told I could return it to the apple store, but it's not worth me driving an hour away I guess to do it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.