Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone5 No sound unless I have headphone in 64GB

I have new iPhone5 64GB and I have no sound or ring unless I have headphones in.

I did factory reset as I though some setting was messed up that I could not find.

Switch is in the right place, volume is up, no music or audio from videos

no soound from Sri

All fine with head phones, has to be bad phone no??

George

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 11:23 AM

114 replies

Sep 26, 2017 11:32 AM in response to gmatroni

Phone may be fine. This happened to me and since the last thing I was able to listen to was Pandora, I opened it up. Underneath the picture of the album that was playing was a little rectangular box with an arrow in it. When I clicked on it, a screen opened to show I was still connected to the speaker in my car. I checked the iPhone selection instead and my sound was restored! Hope that's your problem, too and is as easily fixed 🙂

Oct 3, 2017 8:35 PM in response to gmatroni

Actually- I do want to add that she has a 5S All the same symptoms, only showed “headphones” on the screen. I worked for the phone company several years and the headphone going in, triggers a little button. Just like a fridge door. If gunk builds up it’ll stick down and always think headphones are in. Hers was full of nasty stuff. Kids are gross. But right after the q tip, it still said headphones. I opened YouTube and it worked right away. So Idk if it was the qtip alone or both or what. But it needed a qtip anyway. Nasty thing

Sep 21, 2012 3:09 PM in response to GabeZs

GabeZs wrote:

This issue was common in laptops, and it usually occurs when the electronic switch gets stuck. Replacement is the only option.

Not necessarily true; it depends if the jack uses an electronic sensor or a mechanical one.

If mechanical, your local Genius Bar might be able to fix it with a toothpick. (Seriously.)

You might also try jiggling the headphone plug as you pull it out of the jack.

Sep 21, 2012 3:26 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

I have been in the service and hardware replacement industry for over 8 years. A toothpick inspired fix is simply that... a fix. It is not a solution to the problem. The until will still need a replacement (repair) as the issue will most likely occur again. Also, to uphold the quality of service, and given the product was purchased new, they will most likely replace it.

iPhone5 No sound unless I have headphone in 64GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.