Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why wont my imessage work for just one contact

For some reason my iPhone wont let me imessage with just one of my contacts... it works with all the other ones but that contact stays regular sms text! Tried rebooting the phone and turning my imessage on and off... dont get it!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 11:47 AM

11 replies

Apr 6, 2013 7:09 PM in response to SWatson12

I had this same problem for the past 2 years. I can iMessage all my contacts who has an iPhone except for my wife's iPhone 4. I also used to have an iPhone 4 and I recently upgraded to an iPhone 5. I've updated the iOS to 6.1.3 and rebooted my phone but still have the same problem. My wife's iPhone 4 has iMessage switch on and activated so she can also iMessage other contacts except for me. This is driving me crazy, can some help please!

Apr 6, 2013 8:54 PM in response to Amigaman36

I had a problem with messaging my husband and had to change his name on my contacts. I just did his initials and it worked.

I think the problem was that my gmail, iPhone, separate contact with the same name for his work numbers balled it up. It was frustrating because if he was part of a group message the message wouldn't go through.

I just made him "DV" and it worked!

Oct 22, 2014 6:14 PM in response to Amigaman36

i know it´s a year later but i just figure it out.

for all the people that are having problems sending blue bubble messages to other contacts even when they do have imessage active,

just go to messages on your mac and send them a message, it should be blue, and now you will be able to send messages trough your phone with no problem or charges for sms...of course if the bubble is blue.

why wont my imessage work for just one contact

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.