I just had the same problem on an iPhone 5 that's 7 months old. Same problem as most, while the phone shows that it is on charge, it never charges. After unplugging and plugging back in several times, I would occasionally receive the Non-Apple message. Fortunatly i have several cables, and tried an alternate, which began charging almost immediatly. I also carefully inspected the charge connecter and found NO lint whatsoever.
I then tried the original faulty cable, and by applying light pressure, found that it would alternate between charging and not charging.
I believe there are a couple of distinct issues here. The connection port getting filled and thereby preventing adaquate contact. And secondly, faulty cables.
Whatever you do, don't mess around with switching batteries as mentioned by a "Phone repair" person earlier in this post. Do yourself a favour, use a flashlight to see if there is any visible lint in the charge port, if so, carefully clean it out with a small pin. Avoid touching the connectors, simply pry out the lint from the sidewall. If there is no visible lint, replace the cable. If it's still under warrenty, stop by the Apple store and "Demand" a new cable.
I hate to say it, but i think the design of the lightnin adapter has introduced higher tolorances, which unfortunatly, the cables don't seem to live up to in the long run. For all we know though, Apple may already have addressed this issue in the recently produced cables.
My 5s is 2 months old and just stopped charging today. When I plug the charger into the port, with the phone shut off, the phone turns on by itself but does not charge.
The port on the phone is clean, no debris at all. It's been in a sealed cover the entire time I've owned it. My coworker has the same 5s and his is charging properly on my power supply, so I know the charger works.
Not real happy with my first iphone, at least all my android phones lasted 1 year plus before they started having issues.
I found this on another website and it helped me so I wanted to leave the advice here. My husband iphone 5 wouldn't charge after 1.5 years. It started by intermittently charging and then completely stopped. I took a toothpick and a paper clip and picked out all the lint from where the lightning charger gets plugged in. After making sure I got all the lint (a flashlight helped to see), the phone now charges! Hope this helps someone else as much as it helped me!
Same problem, had to hold the charger just right to get a connection. last night i used compressed air and looked in the charging port with a flashlight and saw no lent. But i decided to give this a try, using a toothpick i removed a shocking amount of lent that was somehow invisible before. And now my phone is now charging again! Hope this helps and good luck!
I have always had iPhones (since the original), and I usually love Apple products but this charging issue is a massive fail. My iPhone 5 stopped charging, tried all the solutions described here but nothing worked. The port is totally clean of lint and debris. Took it into an Apple store, they looked at it and told me it is a hardware problem that can't be fixed. Of course this all happened one month after the warranty expired. Would you like to buy a replacement for $300?
I have 4 iphone5 in the household. 3 since last Christmas and one just a week old.
All of the cords in use that came with the phones have died.
I blamed my kids and my wife for the poor handling and went and purchased another 4.
Now those have died as well.
I also purchased a transition between old cables and this new cable.
That one is not working now either.
Getting messages that the charging device is not a certified one.
I am so upset that I'm thinking how do I get rid of Apple products.
This after I had my 4S for 3 years with absolutely no issues charging.
Who ever decided to change the charging port at Aple needs to be fired.
I'm not sure what to do.
Just buy more cords?
At 20$ a piece?
This is outrageous.
My wife's iPhone 5c stopped charging, tried different chargers, car, iPad, son's charger, nothing works. Used my rocket blaster for m DSLRs, still nothing. Over the years, I've had more issues with Apple chargers and batteries. There seems to an issue in this area of their products and after reading all the problems here that people are having, I have to ask, what is Apple going to do about it? Is it going to take a class action suite or even government intervention or is Apple going to do the right thing and fix or replace the problem?
Having the same issue as others on my 1 year old iPhone 5 and I agree with those who have noted that this is likely due to the design of the lightning connector. First the car charger would not work unless plugged in several times and the phone balanced just so and then it would work not at all I started getting the non-Apple equipment message (this on a charger purchased with the phone from Verizon).
Then I started getting intermittent charging using the Apple AC charger that came with the phone and the lightening cable connected to my computer started going back and forth between being connected and not and also giving me messages in in iTunes that "An iPhone has been detected but could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPhone, then try again."
I did remove a bit of lint using a lead mechanical pencil and then blew out more from the port with canned air but this has not resolved the issue. I can only get it to charge if I get the plug in just right and then only if I don't move the phone too much - a very tenuous connection no matter what and I worry that at somepoint I will be unable to charge this phone at all. Ununfortunately this means I am looking to replace a phone which otherwise has worked very well for me but I need something I can reliably charge and transfer data to.
My 3 year old iPhone 4 that I gave up to one of my employees with the older connection still works great!
Keep digging out the lint. Canned air won't do it. We had the same issues of having to have it balanced just right and only charging via laptop. Eventually it all stopped charging. That's when I got online and found a blog on another website about the lint. Keep digging out lint until you don't get anymore out. I was amazed at how much I pulled out of my husband's.. Good luck!
Yes, do just as busyman says- keep trying with the lint. I tried with a toothpick and got a bit of lint out. Tried canned air. Still wouldn't charge. Shown a flashlight down the port and didn't see any lint. Tried a needle nose tweezers very carefully and a huge hunk of lint came out from a bottom corner that I didn't even see! Now charges no problem. I periodically clean for lint now.
So it started out with just me having to put the point the charger meets the ipod on top of a matchbook. Just a little pressure and it worked. Then it started to become a voodoo like ritual. I had to use multiple cords, sometimes a brand new cable worked best, other times my boss' old beat up cable worked. Sometimes I would just need to plug it into a couple of different computers and then by the third round it would start to charge(with pressure of course). And then I thought it had to do with Itunes opening. I tried turning Itunes off to start charging and it worked once or twice, so I thought I figured it out. But like every other ritual I've tried it eventually failed.
My final set up, which takes about 25 minutes, involves this:
-plug my lightning cable into a wall charger. My charger cable only works with one distinct side up, I have that marked with a sharpie. That's the tricky part for the first month, you don't know which side is working.
-place the connecting part of the charger on a small book, so the ipod is slightly elevated, with pressure being exerted on the cord itself.
-place two heavy candles on top of the charger
-Place three very heavy books on the top of the ipod(so it's basically a sandwhich of books keeping the ipod elevated while the candles apply pressure).
But first I must establish a connection which doesn't work unless I manually "massage" the cable into the ipod. I usually have to work on that for about 20 minutes. I have to put a massive amount of pressure while jiggling the cable until it makes a connection.
-So after massaging I place the ipod into book sandwhich. The charge goes away for a second but once I play with it it starts to connect. Now this takes a couple minutes but once that charging symbol is on there I place the candles on top of the ipod and gently walk away. Any added touch to the table or books will cause it to stop charging.
As you can see this is quite a process. And I have to do it every night. But at this point those times are getting pushed farther and farther. I'm writing this after about 30 minutes of playing the cable trying to get a load sign. I'm just totally over this.
I wanted to let people know that it seems the best fixing method is just a simple can of compressed air. For some reason I failed to look any of this up for fear that my ipod was totally broken and it was just a matter of time before it never charged again. This doesn't seem to be the case. I'm going to get a compressed air can and fix this thing!
Actually the compressed air didn't do anything but I got a paperclip out and started scraping and basically the amount of lint that came out of that hole was frightening. Clumps and clumps would keep pouring out. So now it works with no issue.