Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch iOS6 cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 10.6.3 or later.

Hi, just now I've updated my iPod Touch 4th generation to iOS 6 and I backed it up on iTunes before. Now I want to restore that backup but when I plug it onto my iMac (running OS X 10.5.8), iTunes pops up a message that says: "The iPod "Trang's iPod touch" cannot be used be because it requires iTunes version 10.6.3 or later. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes". My iTunes right now is iTunes 10.6 (40) if that helps. I pressed iTunes > Check for Updates... then it says that I have the current version! I did the same with apple logo > Software Update, and nothing new. I then went on itunes.com and the newest version is 10.7, except I don't want to risk to download it and lose all my music files again, and it's not even compatible with my iMac!

Like said, my version cannot sync over wi-fi because iCloud also isn't compatible with Leopard. What do I do? Do I HAVE to buy an update for Snow Leopard then be able to sync my iPod? They don't even sell physical copies in stores anymore.. now I'm stuck with a clean state iOS 6 iPod. If I knew, I wouldn't have updated it. Is there any way to go back?

Regards

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6, OS X 10.5.8

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 1:05 PM

A .dmg installer for iTunes version 10.6.3.25 for Mac OS can be found at the following download page on the Apple website:

iTunes 10.6.3

10 replies

Sep 22, 2012 6:53 PM in response to b noir

Hi there, Im having a similar issues with my iPhone, I am runinng os 10.5.8 and did the ios 6 upgrade on my iphone and ipad, then went to plug into my itunes to change some play lists around and it says I need the newest version, so I download that, then when I go to install it wont let me because I need to be running os 10.6, well I go to look for that and its over 100 dollars to get a CD through Amazon!!! I realize I should have upgraded my OS sooner, but now im stuck, any suggestions?!

Feb 15, 2013 9:52 AM in response to tr_ang

I'm having a similar problem, but moved on a few versions. I've been given an iPod nano, but when I try to add music to it I get an error message saying, "The iPod “iPod” cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 10.7 or later" and inviting me to download the latest version. However, I'm using iOS 10.5.8, and the computer can't update to a newer version. That, in turn, limits me to versions of iTunes no later than 10.6.3.

Is there a way to make the new iPod connect to my still very much functional but not new Macbook? All help gratefully received!

iPod Touch iOS6 cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 10.6.3 or later.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.