Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I need a new email for iCloud notes?

Now that I've upgraded my Mac to Mountain Lion, I decided to turn on Notes syncing through iCloud. However, even though I'm already signed in to my iCloud account, it asks me to create a new one. It won't accept my existing @icloud.com address as it tells me it's already taken. Why do I have to create a new iCloud account just to turn on Notes syncing and, if I do this, will it sync Notes through my existing iCloud account or the new one?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 1:48 PM

51 replies

Apr 27, 2017 9:54 AM in response to dagaz

2017 - STILL A PROBLEM. Agree with those who are frustrated by having to create a new email to associate with iCloud when I already have one associated with the iCloud account. I don't like the idea of another email to deal with , remember, or to MESS up what I already have functioning. If I set up this new email then I have 2 iCloud emails and I find that extremely annoying. I feel that Apple doesn't want you to just keep your gmail associated with the account because they want you to buy into the brand. They could fix this to work with the email you already have associated with your account if it indeed needs an email association. PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO FEEL LIKE IT IS COMPLICATED OR THAT THEY COULD SCREW UP ALL THEIR OTHER SYNCS ASSOCIATED WITH THE OTHER EMAIL!!! I saw someone else say "Apple the new Microsoft." They don't care about ease of use anymore. 😠

Jun 9, 2017 4:30 PM in response to gail from maine

1st tried to turn on iPhone 4 and it wanted me to create a iCloud email address. I have only ever had a @mac.com address associated with apple/icloud etc.

I have since found that I had wi-fi turned off and cellular data off for notes so turned wi-fi back on and then created this new @icloud account and notes is now turned "on" on iPhone 4. But.....when I go to the iMac and open the notes app the notes from iPhone are not there...?

Jun 9, 2017 6:59 PM in response to jthorpedo

OK, so again, can you clarify exactly what the order of events was? What do you mean when you say you tried to "turn on" your iPhone 4? Because your @mac.com email address also has an iCloud account associated with it. So, provide a blow by blow description of the steps. And what do you mean you had "Wifi turned off for Notes"? What Setting did you change specifically to turn on Wifi for Notes in particular?

Cheers,

GB

Jun 9, 2017 7:37 PM in response to gail from maine

I tried to turn the toggle switch of Notes to "ON" on the iPhone 4

it then asked me to create a new @iCloud.com email address.

I did this but it would not work.

I then found that I had cellular data turned off and wi- fi was off as well.

So turned them both on again and tried again.

This time the new @iCloud.com email procedure worked and was then able to turn that toggle switch for notes to "ON" in the iCloud section of settings on the iPhone.

I now have a iCloud account in Notes on the iPhone but the notes in there do not sync with the iCloud notes on iMac or my iPad.

I have managed to get iPad and iMac to both sync in Notes, but not the iPhone 4.

I have tried logging out and back in, turning off then on again and reloading in but still no sync between iPhone notes and the other devices.

Thanks for your help, hope this helps you see my predicament.

My main problem is why I had to even create a new iCloud address when my existing one is (myusername)@Mac.com?

Jun 9, 2017 8:08 PM in response to jthorpedo

OK, again, what you are describing does not make sense.

Were you signed into iCloud with your @mac.com Apple ID on the iPhone 4 (Settings>iCloud).

Because you would not be able to toggle the Notes switch on without already being signed in to iCloud. Then toggling it on would simply turn on Notes.

So, you wouldn't have an iCloud account in Notes. You would have Notes turned on under Settings>iCloud.

So, still not understanding what you are saying about a different iCloud account.

As far as the sync goes, we would have to know what iCloud account you have signed in to the iPad and Mac, and would have to know the iOS and OS versions you were running on each. If the iPad is running iOS 8 or above, and the Mac is running OS X Yosemite or above, the Notes from the iPhone 4 will not sync with them. iOS 7.1.2 (which is the highest iOS you can run on an iPhone 4), uses the original Notes. Devices and computers running the newer software as indicated are running an upgraded Notes app, so the two don't sync.

But as for the iCloud ID and what you have signed in on the iPhone 4, I still am not clear on what you are describing.

Cheers,

GB

Jun 9, 2017 8:20 PM in response to gail from maine

Your answer has cleared this up for me, IOS 7 is the problem.

But....you asked

"Were you signed into iCloud with your @mac.com Apple ID on the iPhone 4 (Settings>iCloud)."

Yes I was signed in and no the toggle button would not turn on and remain on unless I created this new @icloud.com email address. It simply would not turn on unless this was performed.This is the whole reason for this thread isn't it? why do we have to create a new email???

Anyway, I now know that iOS 7 on my iPhone 4 will not play with my other devices.

Thanks for your help thus far, appreciated.

Jun 9, 2017 8:56 PM in response to jthorpedo

jthorpedo wrote:

"Were you signed into iCloud with your @mac.com Apple ID on the iPhone 4 (Settings>iCloud)."

Yes I was signed in and no the toggle button would not turn on and remain on unless I created this new @icloud.com email address. It simply would not turn on unless this was performed.This is the whole reason for this thread isn't it? why do we have to create a new email???

Without a specific step by step description of each prompt and screen you saw when you toggled Notes on, I can't tell you what happened. You do not need a separate iCloud ID for Notes. So, something else was going on. You should also note that the thread was started in 2012 - very shortly after the time when iCloud was introduced, so the issue then probably has nothing to do with the issue you are reporting now.

I would need to know what the exact message you got and how that message presented itself in order to be able to help answer your question. Because you absolutely do not need a separate email or Apple/iCloud account to use Notes.

Cheers,

GB

Jun 9, 2017 8:59 PM in response to jthorpedo

jthorpedo wrote:

I will add for others though that iPhone 4 and iPhone 3 still have iCloud abilities but it seems that notes is the one thing that simply will not sync over the cloud. If this is not the case then please someone fix it.

Notes will not sync with an iOS device or Mac that are running the upgraded Notes app. They sync to iCloud.com just fine. I have an iPhone 4, and I have iCloud Notes turned on, under my Apple ID that is signed into iCloud. I can add notes to iCloud.com and they show up under my iCloud Notes on my iPhone 4. I can add Notes to my iPhone 4 and they show up on iCloud.com. They just don't show up, nor are they shared between my iPhone 4 and my iPhone 7 or my Mac, because they are both running the upgraded Notes app.

Cheers,

GB

Jun 9, 2017 10:27 PM in response to gail from maine

You don't believe me do you...?

I went into settings to turn on the notes button in iCloud settings.

As soon as I hit the on button a popup message said I needed to create a new @iCloud.com email address.

Im telling you that is what it said. if I didn't do this then the button would not go "on" ! Understand this is what happened.

It has also happened to others here in this thread, you need to read back thru it.

Yes I can use iCloud with notes on the iPhone 4 but the notes do not sync with other devices.

This is ridiculous as everything else on the iPhone 4 does sync in iCloud.

Jun 9, 2017 10:38 PM in response to jthorpedo

Again, without the exact message that was displayed on the pop-up, there is no way I can help you to determine exactly what was being asked for or why. Apple has ramped up the security measures around everything iCloud, so there is no telling what it was asking you to do or why. I am not saying I don't believe you, I'm simply telling you that without context, there is no way I can help to explain what was going on. I do know that a separate iCloud account is not needed to set up Notes. So, why you were asked for one in your circumstances is impossible to determine without the exact information.

Also, as I stated before, this thread goes back to 2012, which was in the very early days of iCloud. Pretty much everything has changed since then, so it is highly unlikely that the posts from 2012 are related to what you experienced.

Not sure what you mean about the iPhone 4 syncing in iCloud being ridiculous. Mine works just fine with iCloud. As does my iPad 1. If you'd care to explain what other issues you are having, then we might be able to help.

Just remember, you are now talking about a device that is running iOS 7. It is old, it is not up to date with current iOS software, so you need to level-set your expectations about what it is going to be able to do.

Cheers,

GB

Jun 9, 2017 10:47 PM in response to gail from maine

Ok hows this then.

Iphone 4 has photos ticked to "on" in iCloud settings and yes my photo stream works fine across all my devices.

Same goes for contacts, etc but not notes.

I have logged into iCloud.com and cannot see my iPhone 4 in the devices list. I have logged in and out plenty of times today and about to give up completely as it is no use.

I did not create a new iCloud "account" merely a iCloud email address when I was required to which looks to be attached to my Apple ID (user)@mac.com.

What was required of me when I 1st went into settings cannot be recreated because I did what it said!

And now I cannot see how to get rid of this iCloud email address so I can go back and try again.

Many others here have stated same, not way back in 2012 either, that this is still happening to them.

Why do I need a new email for iCloud notes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.