10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2013 1:19 PM by pmwDesigndotcom
holdrege Level 1 (0 points)

I have a new iPhone 5 and it doesn't seem to have Siri. Under Settings>General there is no Siri and when I hold down the home button it brings up Voice Control but not Siri.

I activated my phone today and did a restore from my old iPhone 4. Is that the problem?

• randers4 Level 9 (62,715 points)

Restoring from your old phone wouldn't cause this.  Check Settings>General>Restrictions and make sure Siri is set to On.  Then go to Settings>General>Siri and turn it On.

• holdrege Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for trying, but no dice. Restrictions were turned off and there isn't even a Siri option under Restrictions.

Is your phone set to a supported language?  These include:

1. United States (English, Spanish)
    2. United Kingdom (English)
    3. Australia (English)
    4. France (French)
    5. Germany (German)
    6. Japan (Japanese)
    7. Canada (English, Canadian French)
    8. China (Mandarin)
    9. Hong Kong (Cantonese)
    10. Italy (Italian)
    11. Korea (Korean)
    12. Mexico (Spanish)
    13. Spain (Spanish)
    14. Switzerland (Italian, French, German)
    15. Taiwan (Mandarin)

Language> English

The only "weird" thing about my config is

Region Format > France

I hope that setting doesn't trip a bug with Siri.

Shouldn't matter, but try setting Region Format to US just to see.

Son of a you-know-what! That did fix it. But this is a bug, right? How can I tell Apple about this?

Good to know.  You can tell Apple here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html.

I spoke too soon. While changing to the US Region Format got Siri to show up in Settings, it still doesn't actually work. Any request just times out with Siri saying to try again later.

So I tried all French settings and that works, sort of. I'm American and speak French with an American accent and Siri seems to have some trouble with that.

So I wonder if there is some hidden setup option which forces Siri requests from my phone to a server in France which times out when it receives an English request. That sounds crazy but I'd like to hear a better explanation.

BTW I'm trying very simple phases like "what time is it" or "weather" etc.

• SathishRanganathan Level 1 (0 points)

I bought new iPhone 5. Siri control is not appearing on screen after restoring data from my old iPhone 4S. But it seems Siri is working fine. Hw to bring back the control on screen? Please help.

Sathish

• pmwDesigndotcom Level 1 (0 points)

I think you are looking for an "app" that activates Siri. I had the same issue until I realized (hit's self in head) that the way to active Siri is hold down the Home button. Was that it?