Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

there is no Siri on my iphone 5

I have a new iPhone 5 and it doesn't seem to have Siri. Under Settings>General there is no Siri and when I hold down the home button it brings up Voice Control but not Siri.

I activated my phone today and did a restore from my old iPhone 4. Is that the problem?

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 1:43 PM

Restoring from your old phone wouldn't cause this. Check Settings>General>Restrictions and make sure Siri is set to On. Then go to Settings>General>Siri and turn it On.

11 replies

Sep 21, 2012 1:57 PM in response to holdrege

Is your phone set to a supported language? These include:

1. United States (English, Spanish)
  2. United Kingdom (English)
  3. Australia (English)
  4. France (French)
  5. Germany (German)
  6. Japan (Japanese)
  7. Canada (English, Canadian French)
  8. China (Mandarin)
  9. Hong Kong (Cantonese)
  10. Italy (Italian)
  11. Korea (Korean)
  12. Mexico (Spanish)
  13. Spain (Spanish)
  14. Switzerland (Italian, French, German)
  15. Taiwan (Mandarin)

Sep 22, 2012 1:31 AM in response to holdrege

I spoke too soon. While changing to the US Region Format got Siri to show up in Settings, it still doesn't actually work. Any request just times out with Siri saying to try again later.

So I tried all French settings and that works, sort of. I'm American and speak French with an American accent and Siri seems to have some trouble with that.

So I wonder if there is some hidden setup option which forces Siri requests from my phone to a server in France which times out when it receives an English request. That sounds crazy but I'd like to hear a better explanation.

BTW I'm trying very simple phases like "what time is it" or "weather" etc.

there is no Siri on my iphone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.