Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fresh install on MB Air 2008

I have a MacBook Air 1,1 (early 2008) that I bought with Snow Leopard and was able to upgrade to Lion just fine.

Now I swapped out the hard drive with an SSD and I'm having trouble getting the OS installed on the bare drive. I have Lion on a USB drive and it boots but won't install. I get the gray screen with the big gray circle with slash.

I'm not sure why that's being rejected. I am trying to get Snow Leopard on there and try the upgrade to Lion later but I can't find an installer I can but on a USB drive to do the install.

Any ideas how to get the OS on a fresh drive on a MacBook Air 1,1?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 4:28 PM

5 replies

Sep 21, 2012 7:07 PM in response to ggulik329

Have you brought up Disk Utility to partition the SSD? If not, nothing can access it. Bring up it up, click the SSD on the left, click the partition tab, tell it how many partitions (most use one), give it a name, format should be OS X Extended (journaled), click options and be sure it's GUID format, click OK, then click apply. You should be able to access it after setting up the partition.

Fresh install on MB Air 2008

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.