Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I traded for a mac; how can I change the home folder name?

Well I traded a PC for my first iMac and well...... I love it.

1. I'm running into a little problem though; I can't seem to change the home folder name to my name. Although I know it doesn't affect any of the operation of the system or my settings, it psychologically upsets me.

2. Also, is there a way to assign my Apple ID to the computer or does that not matter either?

3. I also see a little lag when trying to connect to the web, but once I do get on it seems pretty beefy, any suggestable reasons?

4. And the final question, did I make the right decision? I traded a Sony Vaio S series tablet (laptop/PC) with an Intel core i5 @ 2.30ghz for an iMac with an Intel Duo Core processor @ 3.06ghz. I've heard the numbers don't really matter but some clarification would help.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 5:26 PM

7 replies

Sep 21, 2012 5:42 PM in response to Bubac53

Trying to address some of your questions:

You state you are running Mountain Lion? Was that the original OS on the Mac? That is very important because:

a) if it was, the seller/trader needed to transfer the Mountain Lion license to you or it will stay with his Apple ID;

b) if he purchased ML, he is required to uninstall it before selling the machine because the license is not transferable, which means - again - that it is tied to his Apple ID (along with the machine ID).

Both/either can present some problems for you since ML is now tied to someone else's Apple ID. If you manage to "introduce" your Apple ID, it will no longer match the records MAS (Mac App Store) has, so updates or other purchases may present problems.

I would suggest that you either call Apple or book an appointment at the nearest Genius Bar and ask them how to proceed - that way you may be able to set up your own Apple ID on the machine as well as get ML registered as yours (although, as explained above, they may require you to purchase it for yourself).

Whether or not you made the right decision - well, I've never owned a Windows machine, so I can't answer your question since I have nothing to compare it with. Obviously, I use Macs...... you should be able to run your own test: just do what you normally do and see if it appears to take about the same time, is faster, or is slower.

Sep 21, 2012 8:45 PM in response to babowa

Well before I traded, the previous user had replaced the old hdd due to a recall. During our transaction he said he had not associated his Apple ID with this system since and that I should have no problems. As for Mountain Lion, I used my Apple ID to download and install..... But that doesn't change the fact that I can't change muy home folder user name. Either way thanks for the relpy and for any possible future help.

Best regards,

Bubac

Sep 21, 2012 10:22 PM in response to Bubac53

Ok, so you purchased ML, so there is no problem there...... have you followed the instructions in baltwo's link? FWIW, the home folder user name is the name the computer was set up with originally. I've read of one possibility if you want to try this (have not tried this myself, so not sure if that'll work): create another user account with your name and full admin privileges, login password, etc; after you've logged in as that new user and you're satisfied that everything is working as expected using that account, you could simply delete the old admin account.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3309

I traded for a mac; how can I change the home folder name?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.