5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2012 11:55 PM by adnixon
adnixon Level 1 Level 1 (140 points)

My questions to the community is in relation to gaining a better understanding of the following:

-     can a book produced in iTunes Author be distributed privately either directly to family and fiends or where there is a group interest like a school community  rather than it having to be published in the iTunes Bookstore 'FREE'. An example of a publication might be say a School News Letter where their are privacy issues to take into consideration like photographs of children?

-     in the iTunes Bookstore can you set up a book for private distribution by having it visable but when installed on an iPad embedded with a password that is required to open the book?

-     Does embedding a YouTube widget into a book produced in iTunes Author enjoy the same status as that authorised to be embedded into a Website provided that there is no licencing requirements: and

-     does an iBooks Author publication that consolidates URL's or YouTube Video widgets into one page or a number of pages contained within a book enjoy the same status as might be enjoyed by a Website configured as a portal?

Replies are always appreciated Ant.. 

• K T Level 7 Level 7 (23,700 points)

adnixon wrote:

-     can a book produced in iTunes Author be distributed privately either directly to family and fiends or where there is a group interest like a school community  rather than it having to be published in the iTunes Bookstore 'FREE'. An example of a publication might be say a School News Letter where their are privacy issues to take into consideration like photographs of children?

iBooks Author: Publishing and distribution FAQ - Support

• adnixon Level 1 Level 1 (140 points)

Thanks KT your response was very much appreciated. I have figured out how to set a document password hopefully it carries through to the iBook [I will do the testing to see how that all works] Any ideas with the widgets?

Ant..

• K T Level 7 Level 7 (23,700 points)

I don't know of a provision to set a password in a book itself.

See your iBooks Author Agreement in the 'About' menu for details on content usage. I believe videos need to be embedded, not linked.

• Tom Gewecke Level 9 Level 9 (75,280 points)

adnixon wrote:

-     in the iTunes Bookstore can you set up a book for private distribution

No.

• adnixon Level 1 Level 1 (140 points)

In the Inspector Documents tab you can set a password which is required to open that book in iBooks Author however this has no effect when the book is downloaded to the iPad using preview. I can think of many reasons why a publisher might want to password protect all or some content fortunately I have no requirement.