Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Power Failure After USB Connection

I purchased my MacBook Pro not even a few weeks ago. I've used an external hard disk drive with it fine.

Today however, I connected my iPad via USB and instantly the power failed, completely cut off!

Of course I removed the USB connection immediately and attempted to power on the MacBook Pro, but to no avail, I plugged the power cable and the status indicator on the power cable blinks between green and orange in no particular pattern and the battery level indicator on the MacBook Pro does not work (it did previously).

I realise that there is likely no hope with this situation other than to get a replacement, although my partner also has a MacBook Pro (2011) and this happened to his only yesterday, luckily his powered back on fine and seems to be working. Perhaps this is a software issue?

Although I'm doubtful, any help would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 6:27 PM

5 replies

Oct 2, 2012 10:23 AM in response to iAlias

I also have a similar problem. Even with a full battery charge, my 11 month old MBP 15" seems to randomly do an instant and complete power-off. Like your partner, mine will seem to work fine for a few days then abruptly just fail. I am still troubleshooting but it seems to happen more frequently when I have something connected to the USB - like my hard drive for backup. Please share any further info / Resolution. I am worried I may lose everything before I can get a complete backup.

Oct 16, 2012 3:29 PM in response to iAlias

I thought the recent supplement update may have fixed this problem, but I am still getting this problem, which is becoming a critical problem now because I am now developing apps and need to use my iPhone and iPad for testing.

This is mine and my partners second MacBook Pros now that are still getting this problem!

MacBook Pro Power Failure After USB Connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.