Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix LaCie drives wake up issue 10.8.2 ?

Hello,

I searched but could not find a satisfactory solution yet.

I have lacie quadra d2 250GB (usb, FW400, 800) and another lacie quadra d2 1TB (usb, FW 400, 800, eSata).

I still use powerbook g4 1ghz (latest titanium) with both drives and NO problems at all.

now, I just bought retina MBP and the lacie 250GB does NOT wake up after going to sleep.

the screensaver triggers the external drive to sleep, even when I had unchecked "put the hard drive to sleep..."

now, i downloaded from lacie's site the firmware upgrader file, but it does not recognize my drive. There I cannot upgrade anything.

This issue is still present after 10.8.2 upgrade...

can anyone help me please?

all the posts I found either here or elsewhere via google, date back to 2-3 years.... and none are helpful...

thanks in advance....

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 8:44 PM

17 replies

Feb 12, 2013 7:52 AM in response to Sungyub Han

I was having the same issue as the rest of you. My LaCie drive – a 2TB d2 Quadra that I was using as a Time Machine back-up – would work for a while, then hang my entire machine until I either unplugged it or force restarted my Mac. I looked for solutions everywhere on this forum with no luck.

Finally, I checked out LaCie's website and found that there was a new firmware update released November 15, 2012 that solved the problem: http://www.lacie.com/support/support_manifest.htm?id=10554

This was released after your original post Sungyub Han. Hopefully it helps you out.

Feb 18, 2013 4:01 PM in response to chiba1976

I use my 2TB d2 Quadra as a back-up drive connected via firewire 800 to clone partitions from my working drives. Normally I only power it up to make backups and when used this way (i.e. not left idle for any significant time) it behaves OK. On the other hand if I leave it connected but not in use it eventually hangs after sleeping as reported by others. This effectively stops me from using it for anything else.

Seeing chiba1976's post (thanks for the info) last week I applied the Nov 15 2012 firmware update. The drive hung soon aferwards and I had to power it off as in the past. However, since powering it on again I have left it connected as a test and it has behaved correctly even after sleeping and after waking from computer sleep. It may be that the power cycling was necessary to activate the update(?). I have not had the drive self-eject.

I'm running 10.6.8 on a 2010 MacMini but have also briefly tested it with success running 10.8.2 on the same machine. I should mention that for unrelated reasons I have changed the spin down delay from 10 to 30 minutes. I notice that now when the drive is sleeping the blue light comes on for about two seconds roughly every minute (but the drive does not spin up). This is new since the update and may be significant.

It is early days and I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Jan 5, 2014 11:05 AM in response to Sungyub Han

Did anyone solve this problem? I'm having this issue. Once the LaCie D2 Quadra v3 (2TB) gets in sleep mode (when you try to awake it) the finder start to crash and then all the system. So I have to use the power bottom of my iMac and also turn OFF the hard drive and then ON in order to being recognized by the system.

iMac 2,66 Ghz. Intel Core 2 duo

4 GB 800 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

OSX v 10.9.1

Jan 5, 2014 1:45 PM in response to fabriciocontreras

Fabricio, is your LaCie firmware up to date? I bought a 4 TB D2 Quadra v3 this year as a backup drive and am using the 2TB drive for most of my data. They are both working fine in Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion and now Mavericks. The firmware on the 4 TB was evidently already updated. Both flash their blue light every minute or so when sleeping and wake up normally. Mavericks currently does not spin down the drives when they are ejected, but this is a known minor Mavericks bug.

Geoff.

Jan 5, 2014 9:35 PM in response to GeeD

Hi GeeD, thanks for helping me here.

Now that I can use the "LaCie Firmware Updater" I can see my devices in the updater and that they needed some updates (I don't know how I worked all this time without those updates).

But when I tried to update my "LaCie d2 Quadra v3" and "LaCie d2 Quadra" conected them separately, or both conected at the same time, I can't update any hard disk because an error.

Here are some pics of the sequence of the windows:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

And when I do it connecting both disks, but updating just the "LaCie d2 Quadra":

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I already write to LaCie, hoping to get an answer. But of course I would be thanksfull for any comment by you.

Thanks again.

Jan 6, 2014 11:01 AM in response to fabriciocontreras

I looked up my notes on the update, done in february this year. My screen shots confirm it was exacly the same update as yours for the Quadra v3. . This is what I wrote:

"Applied firmware update 1.1.6 successfully on 130214 using macbook pro (since it failed on mac mini). Note that the readme file linked to the update download page is incorrect - does not include the quadra d2 and the instructions are completely wrong. The updater itself says that LaCie Desktop Manager must be uninstalled first. (Difficult to remove all files and versions from the mac mini but the macbookpro never had it installed. )"

So I had the same problem as you at first using my Mac Mini which had had LaCie Desktop Manager installed. If you have or have had this S/W installed (it came with the drive), it could be the reason for the fail. I got around this by using my Macbook Pro, which had never had this S/W installed.

Geoff.

Jan 14, 2014 1:05 PM in response to GeeD

hello

I still tried the file I downloaded, but it does not work....

now after the 10.9.1 upgrade, it is worse since the lacie quadra d2 250GB (usb, FW400, 800) goes much earlier to sleep while the newer lacie quadra d2 1TB (usb, FW 400, 800, eSata) does not go to sleep that early...

And the first mentioned drive does NOT wake up after it goes to sleep...

my settings are set "not to go to sleep"

How to fix LaCie drives wake up issue 10.8.2 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.