Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX 10.8.2 made battery life on macbook pro early 2010 even worse

After upgrading to mountain lion, like everyone else I noticed that my battery took a hit but from what I could tell I lost about an hour's worth of time at the most when I used to almost 6 - 7 hours. Now that I have upgraded to 10.8.2 my battery life is much, much worse. I just charged my macbook to 99% and then unplugged it. I have the screen at half brightness and the batter monitor is telling me that I have 2 hours 30 min of life and I can see the % dripping away even in the short time that I am looking at the monitor.

I can't even put the lid down on my macbook at night and leave it that way till the following morning as the battery drains completely. In the past it would stay in this dormant state for days even.

I thought 10.8.2 was meant to resolve the situation, not make it worse. Is there anything at all that I can do apart from shutting down all my apps all the time?

Macpro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 11:53 PM

15 replies

Sep 22, 2012 12:00 AM in response to zalamander

I also have similar problem with my MBP early 2011. Since updated with 10.8.2, I might be a little bit better. Still too early to say if it better or not. To my satisfaction, I still love this Mac. I'm trying to be patient at the moment and enjoy working with the machine. Make sure to carry all those AC adapter everywhere!!! I hope the Apple engineer will sort all the things out.

Sep 26, 2012 10:35 AM in response to zalamander

10.8.2, also early 2011 MBP, I installed 10.8.2 thinking it would bring up my poor 10.8.1 performance that was around 4 or 4.5 hours... nope, now I get less than three hours!

I used my laptop for an hour and a half this morning on a full charge. Had 50% left. I'm charging it now and it says 2 hours till full charge.

Yes, I ran down the battery yesterday from full charge to dead, and it lasted three hours. I heard people say, "You just have to recalibrate it." Well, it's been fully charged again, and it's still dying incredibly fast.

What the heck. This is really unbelievable. How can I go back to 10.8.0? Or even Lion?

Oct 2, 2012 1:31 AM in response to zalamander

Brand new Macbook Pro mid 2012...same issues. It shipped with Lion, I upgraded to Mountain Lion right away and had around 6-7 hour battery life. When the 10.8.2 update came out, I did a clean install on a SSD and moved my stock HDD to the optical bay. Immediately I noticed battery life was cut to 3-4 hours, sometimes worse. I assumed it was due to the extra hard drive, but now I am not sure...

Oct 9, 2012 5:27 PM in response to mcsound

mcsound wrote:

Have you all tried some of the trouble shooting basics? Reset SMC?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

I'm ashamed to say "No" I hadn't tried any such basics! I have now, and with some sucess. After a SMC reset I have new figures...

Battery Health: 90%

Battery Charge: 99%

Time Remaining: 4:07

Now that looks much better. I can't say with 100% certanty that it was the SMC reset that resolved the issue as I did discover process that was running and chewing up huge amounts of CPU. The KiesViaWiFiAgent application was responsable. I of course killed this off and the CPU also resumed normal operation. I have also deleted the app as I never want to see it running again.

OSX 10.8.2 made battery life on macbook pro early 2010 even worse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.