Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync old iMessage conversations from iPhone to new iPad & Mac?

I have had my iPhone for a couple years now, and have accumulated a fairly large amount of iMessage conversations from various people. A few days ago, I purchased my first iPad and also updated my Mac to Mountain Lion. By doing so, I now have access to iMessage on three devices in total, whereas before I only had one.

I have managed to setup my devices so that all new iMessages I send and receive are being synced between them. However, is it possible to sync my old iMessage conversations from my iPhone back onto my iPad and Mac?

I would like to do so in order to keep a full record of the past conversations I have had with my contacts.

I have done a bit of research before posting, but the only related topics I found werehttps://discussions.apple.com/thread/4157799 andhttps://discussions.apple.com/thread/3795102?answerId=17818920022#17818920022. The former was left unresolved, whereas the latter describes a solution which I am unable to reproduce.

Could anyone shed some light on this for me?

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 12:13 AM

9 replies

Sep 22, 2012 1:56 PM in response to to cheuk yin

HI,

In Messages Beta it was possible to "Start" syncing by two methods.

The first (Which I did) involved removing all the Messages that were on the iPhone which created a "Start Point" and everything synced from there.

The Second method which was reported by some was to turn the iPhone Off then On again.

It may works if Messages on the device is turned Off and then On again rather that the whole phone.

Of course having done the first I couldn't test the second.

User uploaded file
9:56 PM Saturday; September 22, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and and iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Sep 23, 2012 1:09 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thank you for your reply, Ralph.

I would like to clarify that all my new messages are syncing properly between my devices. That is to say, the messages I have received and replied to since I setup iMessage on my iPad and Mac.

What I am looking to achieve is to import my collection of previous conversations from my iPhone onto my newly setup iPad and Mac.

If I follow your first method, which is to remove all the messages on my iPhone in order to create a new "start point", that would defeat the purpose of what I am trying to do.

I have tried the second method to no avail. In fact, turning iMessages on and off on my Mac actually deleted the few conversations I had on my Mac to that point. They remained untouched on my iPhone and iPad, however.

Sep 23, 2012 1:49 PM in response to to cheuk yin

Hi,

I have used the Forward Method.

You can highlight each message (or a group of Messages or the whole conversation) and then either delete or Forward.

If you forward it it becomes one bit of text (Rather than both sides of the conversation) when sent to the Apple ID (And therefore Messages on the Mac)

It was very unsatisfactory.

User uploaded file
9:49 PM Sunday; September 23, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and and iPad

May 24, 2013 12:52 PM in response to AppleOrangePearCake

Hi,

For me this was very early on in my Mountain Lion days.

I would now say that you cannot sync iMessages from an iOS device that were sent before your linked any Apple ID with the iPhone Number or added the Mac to the use of the Apple ID.

At the point at which and Apple ID is used on both an iPad and the Mac version of Messages becomes it's "Start date"

The same can be said for adding an Apple ID to an iPhone and the Mac.

On the Mac all messages can be saved if you wish.

This are in the .ichat format which you can send to Mac Buddies and then can open them and read them as if they were the chat (i.e they display as "chats').

There appears to be no way in iTunes to access the iMessages (or SMS ones) on the iPhone.

Someone who knows more about the iOS may be able to tell you if they are accessible another way.

User uploaded file
8:52 PM Friday; May 24, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Oct 5, 2013 9:26 AM in response to ademarco6

My understanding is iMessage doesn't really "sync" per se because, unlike notes or contacts, messages aren't stored in the cloud after they're delivered. So not only is it impossible to sync old messages on a new device, but if iMessage gets glitchy (as it often does) and fails to deliver a message to a device that it's supposed to, there's no way to sync after the fact. Same reason why deleting messages on one device doesn't delete them on another.

If you're familiar with email, iMessage is more like POP than IMAP. With POP, you can have a message delivered to multiple devices, but once it's delivered, those devices don't communicate with each other.

Sync old iMessage conversations from iPhone to new iPad & Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.