Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do anybody notice a problem with ios 6 autocorrect

It be correct sometimes and they will change it to what they think I meant, also it makes stupid errors like if I would put change it will correct it to changechange change oh words that aren't words.

iPad 2, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 1:04 AM

10 replies

Sep 25, 2012 5:52 PM in response to Kyipad2

Yes! I thought it was only me...

Since I upgraded to iOS 6 the autocorrect has gone way downhill on my iPhone 4S. It used to correct a solo i to uppercase I but it doesn't now. It used to have trick like correcting "welll" (with triple l) to "we'll" but leaving "well" alone. Now it will only correct to "well". It used to do the same for "he'll" and "he'll" but now it corrects both of them to "he'll" - the opposite behaviour.

I know it learns as you type, but this is new behavior that only started with iOS 6. I've been using an iPhone since day 1 in 2007, so I don't know if it only brought over part of the learned autocorrect behaviour at the last update or something, but it's so annoying. Things that I'd got used to not having to correct now come out wrong and some things get "corrected" from what I intended to something wrong.

I think I'll try turning off any shortcuts I taught it, and probably wiping and resetting the phone, but if it is a bad transfer, I've probably already over written any backups with this new behaviour...

Nov 4, 2012 7:03 AM in response to Kyipad2

This is driving me crazy!!! When I type "I am well" iOS autocorrects to "I am we'll". This is incredibly annoying not to mention grammatically incorrect. Other times when "we'll" is correct it leaves the spelling as "well". I have tried to teach the dictionary the correct phrase by channeling my best impression of Jack Nicholson in the Shining by typing "I am well" over and over again in notes but it always reverts back to "I am we'll". Please fix this!!!

Apr 8, 2013 8:18 PM in response to Kyipad2

When I use Safari to access the Web interface for my work e-mail, iOS always tries to correct my username. It never learns my username. I'm dead serious. It's so annoying. I can't believe that the autocorrect can't be smarter. It's shameful. If anyone has any idea of how to release me from my torment, I would be much obliged.

Thanks,

jdub

Apr 8, 2013 9:07 PM in response to Kyipad2

First thing to try is to reset your device. Press and hold the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously ignoring the red slider should one appear until the Apple logo appears. Let go of the buttons and let the device restart. See if that fixes your problem.

If that doesn't help with autocorrect try resetting the keyboard dictionary. You might have gotten some mistyped words entered into the dictionary and autocorrect will suggest them as being words.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Distionary

Feb 13, 2014 9:17 PM in response to Kyipad2

This problem got worse for me in iOS6 and has persisted in iOS7. My beef is not the autocorrection of mistyped words to the wrong thing (although that is hella annoying for sure) - it's that the iPhone will frequently change correctly typed words into something different. For instance when I correctly type "fill," autocorrect will often change it to "full." Same with "bill" and "ball" and other common words that are nearly the same. This is just bad programming and I would definitely class it as a bug.

Then of course there is its habitual refusal to put the apostrophe in I'm. I've found that this bug occurs most often when you type im after deleting something. I can't be sure but I suspect that there are autocorrect bugs which are related to the code which parses what you type, in particular the parsing of characters into separate words. When it won't apostrophe "im," it's as if the parser has failed to recognize that the im you typed is the beginning of a word, and treats the characters like you typed them in the middle of another word or something. Again, these are just vague suspicions that of course I cannot confirm because I don't have access to their code.

Anyway, I really think that Apple needs to pay more attention to its autocorrect algorithms because they are quite clearly faulty in many ways and it's one of the most important and commonly used features of the phone. After 3 years of iPhone ownership, typing remains a very frustrating experience and I frequently want to smash the **** thing.

Do anybody notice a problem with ios 6 autocorrect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.