Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 screen defect...

Hey all,

My brand new iPhone 5 has a defective screen. When looking at a slight angle, there is a squiggly row of glowing dots/blobs (not single pixels) running across the top of the screen. It overlays on top of everything that's displayed on the screen such as apps, icons etc... so it's definitely hardware. Anyone else have this?

Going in to the store to hopefully get a swap!

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 7:55 AM

9 replies

Sep 22, 2012 9:04 AM in response to bartek007

I am having the same problem with my iPhone 5 black 32gb, which I purchased yesterday at a Verizon store. I initially thought the sceen problem was with the Otterbox Defender screen protector (oil between the screen and screen protector). When I took the case off, it's clear that the defect is in under the surface of the glass. It has light banding around the edges and a very prominent bubble-like smear (as if someone swiped a greasy finger)across the LCD that cannot be seen straight on, but only from an angle. I'm disappointed and I hope I will not have problems swapping it out for a non-defective unit.

Sep 25, 2012 8:31 AM in response to markospolydorou

you guys are merging two completely different issues here! my original post was about glowing dots/blobs...not horizontal lines!

for the glowing blobs, it looks like there are holes in the display and the backlight is leaking through which is definitely hardware.

I took it in to Apple and they immediately replaced the phone without questions! 🙂

iPhone 5 screen defect...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.