Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 will not connect to older MacBook

Got the new iPhone 5. I currently have a 5-6 year old MacBook that has OS X 10.5.8 and itunes 10.6.3. When I connect the iphone 5 to the MacBook its says I need a itunes 10.7. So I check for itunes update and it says "Latest version is current". I also checked for updates is OS X, and it says "Latest version is current". What can I do to fix this? Can I buy a newer operatiing system and where? Thanks.

iPhone 5, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 8:14 AM

7 replies

Sep 22, 2012 11:13 AM in response to Chris11570

Hi Chris, yes it's a paid Upgrade, not a free Uodate...

First you need to research all the problems people are having with the higher OSX versions, & make sure you have a bootable clone of what you have just in case.

then you must get 10.6 if they still have it, install it & update to 10.6.8 so you have the App Store to buy & download the huge 10.8 Installer.

Snow Leopard/10.6.x Requirements...

General requirements

* Mac computer with an Intel processor

* 1GB of memory (I say 4GB at least, more if you can afford it)

* 5GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)

* DVD drive for installation

* Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

* Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

Which apps work with Mac OS X 10.6?...

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

It's been pulled from the online store & Apple Stores, so you have to call Apple to buy it, last I heard.

Call Apple Sales...in the US: 1-800-MY-APPLE. Or Support... 1-800-275-2273

Other countries...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

Oct 1, 2012 10:15 AM in response to BDAqua

Hey there,

I don't know if your answer resolved Chris11570's issue or not, but I have the same issue as he. However, my iBook G4, non Intel, OS 10.5.8 is maxed out as far as OS is concerned.

So, with my new, and beatiful, iPhone 5, how are we connecting to the older macs? Without having to buy a new mac.

Is there a third party connectivity app or anything, maybe? Maybe I should check CNET?

Any help is welcomed with open arms. . .

Thx,

Markem

Nov 8, 2015 12:46 PM in response to BDAqua

I am having the same issue....my MacBook is working well - although I haven't switched it on in 2 years.

Now I "had to" buy an iPhone 5s as I am developing an Android and iPhone app for my dating website https://www.flirtbox.com.

I needed my UDID to test the latest version of the app on iPhone 5s. So I updated OSX to the latest possible version (which was pain).

Then I had to update iTunes etc..

After downloading the huge iTunes update it tells my I can not install it, as i required a higher OSX version.

In iTunes I can not connect to the iPhone 5s - so basically I am forced to buy a new MacBook. ***? I doubt this is a technical restriction - just trying ⚠ to make money. Hugely immoral.

So my solution is this..and it worked for me:

- remove iTunes (you won't need it anyway)

- Infest a windows laptop you dont use very often with iTunes

- use Windows for connecting with iTunes

iPhone 5 will not connect to older MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.