Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search Function In Music App Broken - Plays Incorrect Song (iOS6)

When the search function is being used in the iOS6 version of the music app on the 3rd generation iPad, selecting a song to play causes an entirely different song to play:

1) Search for "Love the One..."

2) 7 titles returned in search results

3) Select "Love the One Your With" by Stephen Stills

4) "Love Me Tender" by Elvis plays

5) Selecting any of the other 6 songs in the search results causes an entirely different song to play

Selecting "Love The One Your With" when browsing the entire library works and the song plays when i enter the full artist and song in the search function. Removed all songs from iPad and resynched and same issue occurs (same songs being misplayed, same songs playing in their place".

iPad, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 8:41 AM

9 replies

Dec 17, 2012 5:19 PM in response to rfgetz

I have been having the same issue after the iOS6 update; in fact I believe the problem is a bit more complex. (At least in my case).

The first time this happened after the update I noticed that some songs were not coming up in the search but then I noticed that if I selected one of the songs that were coming up, it played something entirely different.

I deleted all the music from the device, and did a complete restore. Synced the music again and had the same result. Only that now, the song list is in disorder for example I would get:

A

Anna Begins

August and everything after

B

Benjamin Lawrence

A

Annabelle

I restored the iPad and did the sync again, but did it as a new device, same result. Since my screen was also had some problems, I took advance of the warranty and sent it for repair. I received the new device yesterday. Did a set up, updated to iOS6 once again and synced my library. Same Issue.

Deleted my music once more but tried to manually manage music. I have been migrating songs in groups and test the search. Everything seemed to be working great, but around 2000th song, it started experiencing the same issue.

I think that there might be some issue with the indexing on the Music APP. I will try to contact Apple yet again.

Dec 25, 2012 7:54 PM in response to Fenarius

I'm having *exactly* this problem - and the music doens't show up in the 'search' feature half the time.

I have two versions of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - the original and a version recorded at the posthumous induction of Harrisson into the Hall of Fame; only the original version shows up in the search feature, even though they have the exact same name.

I also have the alphabetic problem you display above - exactly like that; the "T" Header followed by a few songs, then back to "R" with a few songs then back to "T" with a few songs.

Its pretty infuriating, as it makes trying to find a song i feel like listening to that ISNT in a playlist nearly impossible.

Dec 29, 2012 8:25 PM in response to T. W. Hamill

Its getting worse; ive now tried completely rebuilding my iTunes library from scratch (i keep all of the music files backed up independently to a network storage drive) by trashing the existing folder and starting over from scratch. I then synced my wifes iPad 1 to my new library (iOS5, remember, since the 1st iPad wont take 6)....

No problems at all.

I sync it to my iPad Mini or the iPad 2 that i replaced with the Mini (the two is about to get shipped oit to my mother as a gift) both of which are on iOS6......

Bam, problem. It is defiitely an iOS 6 problem.

Mar 5, 2013 1:24 PM in response to T. W. Hamill

Same issue with iPad Mini. When I use a search filter in music app and tap on a song, it plays a song above from the list. I never had the case, that it plays a song below the tap, always above.

I also realized that for some songs the loudspeaker symbol, that indicates the playing song, is missing. It plays, but the icon is missing.

I did rebuild the music library, but the problem persists.

May 12, 2013 6:35 AM in response to rfgetz

I investigated a little bit further the music app and found, that the issue is caused by the "Music Videos" in the Music Collection.

The MusicVideos are not shown in the list of the search results, but the sound from the MusicVideo is played, when the MusicVideo matches the search criteria.

I realized that the "out of order selection" for the song to be played, typically happended, when there is a large search selection, e.g. when you search for "love". In my search result for "love" in title, the first song in search results is "After Love (Blank&Jones)". When I select it, it plays correctly.

The second title in search results is shown as "Cant get enough of our love (Barry White)". When I select it, MusicApp plays "Bleeding Love (Leona Lewis)", which is a MusicVideo.

When I now select the third title in search results, the second (Barry White) is played. And we have this phenomenon that "some song before the selection" is played.

So it is a bug how Apple MusicApp performs searching when MusicVideos are part of the collection: In search results the matching MusicVideos are simply ignored and not shown. But when selecting a song from the search results, by clicking at position x in list, this position x is somehow calculated on a (not visible) list including the MusicVideos. With the result that a previous song in list is played.

Hope that we see a fix in the near future??!

T

Search Function In Music App Broken - Plays Incorrect Song (iOS6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.