Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes shows incorrect events to sync from iPhoto

After upgrading my "new" iPad to ios 6 and on my new iPhone 5, i can no longer sync all of my photos from iPhoto to the devices. I have also upgraded the releveant deskyop apps, i.e. iPhoto and iTunes.

When viewiing the list of iPhoto events within iTunes on the photo sync screen for a specific device. the events listed are incorract. When i sync to the device the events syncd are those listed in Tunes, which are wrong.

I have tried the following

• Rebuilt the iPhoto library using all the options avavilable when starting iPhoto with option/command selected.
  • Deleted the ipod photo cache folder within the iPhoto package
  • Deleted the albumdata.xml in the iPhoto package
  • Rebooted all devices and desktop
  • Performed a factory reset on a mobile device.
  • Syncd all photos, removed all photos and then resync.

I beleive this is an issue with iTunes as there does not seem to be any issues with the iPhoto library itself and the mobile devices are syncing the list that iTunes is showing them, albeit an incoorect list. so the only thing that seems to be wrong is the incorrect list of iPhoto events shown in iTunes.

Is there another cache that iTunes uses to get the list of events to sync fromiPhoto? Any other suggestions that could fix this?

thanks in advance for any help

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 8:53 AM

22 replies

Sep 26, 2012 1:43 AM in response to rhegan

I am having the same problem...I tried to sync my iPhone. There are so many items I have in a folder on my desktop are coming up as many iPhoto Events in the sync section. It is horrible!!! I don't know how to get rid of all of them. They don't exist in my iPhoto. Also I see lists of many dates all in my Events...Crazy!!!! I hope there is a way to fix this Horrible Problem.
I thought I did something wrong...

Sep 26, 2012 4:58 AM in response to rhegan

Quick update

As well as the rogue events i have also noticed rogue faces and albums. They not only appear in iTunes, but on my Apple TV too. In other posts it mentions that these other applications get the list of events, faces and albums from the albumdata.xml file. I had already tried deleting this file and letting iPhoto recreate it, but i thought i would give it another go. After the delete and having letting iPhoto recreate it, i opened the albumdata.xml file in textedit and searched for the rogue album, face and event names, and they are iindeed present in this file.

So it appears iPhoto is causing the issue when it creates this file and is getting this rogue names from somewhere, although I have no idea where. The rogue names are mainly shown as dates and "Roll xx"among others.

Oct 4, 2012 10:14 PM in response to rhegan

I'm having the same issue. I upgraded to mountain lion and ios6. Have all updates installed. I tried everything. Erased photos on ipad and iphone. Rebooted mac several times. I was about to wipe out and factory restore both i devices. Im glad I searched for this issue for it seems to be useless.

Apple please fix this bug. I cant find my pictures easily. My events are a total mess.

Oct 5, 2012 2:14 AM in response to maevans1969

The 9.4.1 update resolves some issues but not all.

My phantom events have now disappeared from iTunes but it still shows different numbers of photos in events to the corresponding events in iPhoto.

iTunes also shows many repeated Faces included some that were deleted a long time ago.

As far as I'm concerned the update was a big iFail.

Oct 8, 2012 8:40 PM in response to rhegan

I understand this thread is a couple of weeks old, and maybe there's a solution to this problem, however, I have similar problems to those discussed above, I've tried the 9.4.1 upgrade, but it doesn't help. Since updating both OSX Mountain Lion and iPhoto to the latest versions on my iMac (I've also updated iPhoto to the recent 9.4.1 patch) my iTunes library no longer correctly syncs with iPhoto. This means I cannot sync all my photos to my iPad and I can't watch all my photos via my Apple TV. Prior to the software upgrade, this all worked fine!! Although my iPhoto library all looks OK, when I look at the Photos tab in iTunes when syncing to my iPad, half the iPhoto events have dissapeard and those events that are visible in iTunes (or on the Apple TV) contain only a fractioin of the photos in the same event in iPhoto?? I've seen a number of posts on the Apple Support Community with various "solutions" suggested, but if this is a real problem with the new IOS / iPhoto upgrades, will Apple be fixing the problem???

iTunes shows incorrect events to sync from iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.