Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to https or encrypted sites (banks, pay-sites etc)

Since two weeks I can no longer connect to most https sites.

Some are very slow but finally show up after a minute or two (like finance.yahoo.com). One bank site (Interactive Brokers) allows me in, albeit very slowly but then they are only half functional. Some payment sites appear unformatted. Others just hang like my bank site. I get into Apple Support https site but then it hangs when I sign in. Looks like a timeout issue. Some sites have more patience and I can go further in, others not.

This happened on my 17" MacBook Pro 8,3 with Lion (it is Raided onto two SSD drives, the second having replaced my DVD). The whole system worked flawlessly for about a year. I upgraded to Mountain Lion hoping this might reset things as before.

This happens with Safari, Chrome or Firefox and also with Internet Explorer from a VirtualMachine with WMware, on the same MPB 17 machine.

This happens with my wireless router as well as with a wireless SimCard using a different provider.

I did the usual tricks of clearing caches etc, resetting Safari and the others both before and after upgrading to MLion. I had no Firewall on or Parental controls.

I tried to make a new location network, and I tried to change the MTU to a different value. All to no avail.

THIS DOES NOT happen on two other machines in the office: a Mac PRO and on a MacBook AIR 10.6.7 and Safari 5.0.4 which briskily open all those sites.

Thus I conclude that it may not the browsers, as they all do not work on the MBP but work on the other machines; it is not the wireless networks as both do not work with the MBP but they do work with the other machines. Likewise for the ISPs.

It started right after my bank had a major down time after putting up a new site and software, so I initially thought it was their fault. And since then it started affecting also the other sites. Thus I thought it may be a bug within the system, but I have now finished all my ammunitions and now need help.

I noticed that similar problems happened before in this community, as I have seen posts dating a while back and some were resolved with various tricks which have not solved my problem.

Anybody with a suggestion? Thanks 😟

gp

PS I should add that everything else seem to work ok, except that in one of my datafeeds where I place orders (trading platform) there seems to be a marked delay 2-3 seconds whereby these orders were instantaneous before..)

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Raided two SSD inside 16Gig RAM

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 10:42 AM

Hey, try this:

1) Repair Permissions, found that on Apple Support also (just searched).

2) Reset Keychain, How To Link is Above.

3) Reboot System.

4) ReVisit Secure Website

Oh, and post here with the results, so others can gain from the experience!

25 replies

Sep 22, 2012 10:44 AM in response to jepril

Select System Preferences Network. If the Network preference pane is locked, click the lock icon in the lower left corner and enter your password to unlock it. Then click the Advanced button and select the Hardware tab. Select Configure: Manually and MTU: Custom. Enter an MTU value of 1280. Click OK and then Apply. Test.

You must apply the change before it takes effect.

If the issue is resolved, experiment with higher MTU values until you find the highest one that works. The higher the MTU, the better the network interface will perform.

If changing the MTU has no effect, restore the Configure setting to Automatically.

Sep 22, 2012 12:26 PM in response to Poikkeus

Poikkeus and Linc thanks.

Repaired permissions and reset Keychain, rebooted and tested: not resolved.

Did change MTU to 1280 and ensured it was set at that, then tested: not resolved:

Sites tested:

https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa --> got in ok next I try to sign in:

daw.apple.com/cgi-bin/Web...etc --> hangs but after 5 minutes I get to the login page and after that point Safari cannot connect to the server.

login.yahoo.com/config.login --> after 2 minutes opens the log-in page, then after 10 minutes I get full access but any subsequent move takes 10 minutes

my bank site which starts with www.etc sometimes just hangs at 10% and sometime gets me to the login page after 10 minutes~

same thing with Chrome

Sep 22, 2012 2:01 PM in response to jepril

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. For instructions, launch the System Preferences application, select Help from the menu bar, and enter “Set up guest users” (without the quotes) in the search box. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem(s)?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode* and log in to the account with the problem. The instructions provided by Apple are as follows:

1. Shut down your computer, wait 30 seconds, and then hold down the shift key while pressing the power button.
  2. When you see the gray Apple logo, release the shift key.
  3. If you are prompted to log in, type your password, and then hold down the shift key again as you click Log in.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including wireless networking on certain Macs.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

*Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, you can’t boot in safe mode.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem(s)?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of steps 1 and 2.

Sep 22, 2012 3:34 PM in response to Linc Davis

Find My Mac and FileVault are disabled (with my internal RAID 0 config these are not allowed)

__STEP 1 Enabled guest logins and logged in as Guest but got same issues: not resolved

__STEP 2 rebooted in safe mode: got the lengthy grey progress bar but not the log in screen. After the bar went away there was just the spinning circle. Then it rebooted on is own. All looked as normal so may be I was not in safe mode. Could be because of the RAID configuration?

I managed to boot off of a Firewire bootable back-up in safe mode, ran the test: same issue.

Rebooted normally: problem is not resolved, unfortunately.

Sep 22, 2012 3:42 PM in response to jepril

As soon as you mentioned "RAID," it seemed that this would be the most likely culprit in our slowdown. Unfortunately, I have no experience with RAID, but at does point the direction you should concentrate your efforts. If, say, you were to ask the question with the RAID criteria included, you might end up with better results. Good luck!

Sep 22, 2012 8:40 PM in response to jepril

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It won’t solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Third-party system modifications are a common cause of usability problems. By a “system modification,” I mean software that affects the operation of other software — potentially for the worse. The following procedure will help identify which such modifications you've installed. Don’t be alarmed by the complexity of these instructions — they’re easy to carry out and won’t change anything on your Mac.

These steps are to be taken while booted in “normal” mode, not in safe mode. If you’re now running in safe mode, reboot as usual before continuing.

Below are instructions to enter some UNIX shell commands. The commands are harmless, but they must be entered exactly as given in order to work. If you have doubts about the safety of the procedure suggested here, search this site for other discussions in which it’s been followed without any report of ill effects.

Some of the commands will line-wrap or scroll in your browser, but each one is really just a single line, all of which must be selected. You can accomplish this easily by triple-clicking anywhere in the line. The whole line will highlight, and you can then either copy or drag it. The headings “Step 1” and so on are not part of the commands.

Note: If you have more than one user account, Step 2 must be taken as an administrator. Ordinarily that would be the user created automatically when you booted the system for the first time. The other steps should be taken as the user who has the problem, if different. Most personal Macs have only one user, and in that case this paragraph doesn’t apply.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

When you launch Terminal, a text window will open with a line already in it, ending either in a dollar sign (“$”) or a percent sign (“%”). If you get the percent sign, enter “sh” and press return. You should then get a new line ending in a dollar sign.

Step 1

Copy or drag — do not type — the line below into the Terminal window, then press return:

kextstat -kl | awk '!/com\.apple/{printf "%s %s\n", $6, $7}'

Post the lines of output (if any) that appear below what you just entered (the text, please, not a screenshot.) You can omit the final line ending in “$”.

Step 2

Repeat with this line:

sudo launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.(apple|openssh|vix)|edu\.mit|org\.(amavis|apache|cups|isc|ntp|postfix|x)/{print $3}'

This time, you'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up. You don't need to post the warning.

Note: If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before taking this step. If that’s not possible, skip to the next step.

Step 3

launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.apple|edu\.mit|org\.(x|openbsd)/{print $3}'

Step 4

ls -1A /e*/mach* {,/}L*/{Ad,Compon,Ex,Fram,In,Keyb,La,Mail/Bu,P*P,Priv,Qu,Scripti,Servi,Spo,Sta}* L*/Fonts 2> /dev/null

Important: If you formerly synchronized with a MobileMe account, your me.com email address may appear in the output of the above command. If so, anonymize it before posting.

Step 5

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to get name of every login item' 2> /dev/null

Remember, steps 1-5 are all drag-and-drop or copy-and-paste, whichever you prefer — no typing, except your password. Also remember to post the output.

You can then quit Terminal.

Sep 23, 2012 2:13 AM in response to Linc Davis

Sorry for the delay, I went to sleep..

No cozar, no security software that I know of. Except right around when the problem began I enabled the Firewall for some hours then disabled it again.

Thank you Linc. here are the results (no e-mail address came up):

Step1:

com.eltima.ElmediaPlayer.kext (1.58)

Step2:

com.opendns.osx.DNSCryptProxy

com.opendns.osx.DNSCryptConfigUpdater

com.onda-falcon.zerocd

com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper

com.eltima.ElmediaPlayer.daemon

com.DuetUSBDaemon.plist

com.bombich.ccc

com.adobe.fpsaud

Step3:

com.opendns.osx.DNSCryptMenuBar

com.hp.launchurlagent

com.ApogeePopup.plist

cn.com.zte.usbswapper.plist

com.google.keystone.user.agent

com.divx.agent.postinstall

Step4:

/Library/Components:

/Library/Extensions:

/Library/Frameworks:

AEProfiling.framework

AERegistration.framework

ApogeeServices.framework

AudioMixEngine.framework

DivX Toolkit.framework

FxPlug.framework

HPDeviceModel.framework

HPPml.framework

HPServicesInterface.framework

HPSmartPrint.framework

NyxAudioAnalysis.framework

PluginManager.framework

ProFX.framework

TSLicense.framework

XSKey.framework

iLifeFaceRecognition.framework

iLifeKit.framework

iLifePageLayout.framework

iLifeSQLAccess.framework

iLifeSlideshow.framework

iODBC.framework

iODBCinst.framework

iTunesLibrary.framework

/Library/Input Methods:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins:

.DS_Store

DivXBrowserPlugin.plugin

EPPEX Plugin.plugin

Flash Player.plugin

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin

GarminGpsControl.plugin

Google Earth Web Plug-in.plugin

JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

OVSHelper.plugin

Quartz Composer.webplugin

QuickTime Plugin.plugin

QuickTime Plugin.webplugin

SharePointBrowserPlugin.plugin

SharePointWebKitPlugin.webplugin

Silverlight.plugin

VerifiedDownloadPlugin.plugin

Yahoo! Installer 3.plugin

flashplayer.xpt

iPhotoPhotocast.plugin

nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt

/Library/Keyboard Layouts:

/Library/LaunchAgents:

cn.com.onda.usbswapper.plist

com.ApogeePopup.plist

com.hp.launchurlagent.plist

com.opendns.osx.DNSCryptMenuBar.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons:

cn.com.onda.PPPMonitor.plist

com.DuetUSBDaemon.plist

com.adobe.fpsaud.plist

com.apple.aelwriter.plist

com.bombich.ccc.plist

com.eltima.ElmediaPlayer.daemon.plist

com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist

com.onda-falcon.zerocd.plist

com.opendns.osx.DNSCryptConfigUpdater.plist

/Library/PreferencePanes:

BassJump.prefPane

DNSCrypt.prefPane

DivX.prefPane

Flash Player.prefPane

Flip4Mac WMV.prefPane

JavaControlPanel.prefpane

MacFUSE.prefPane

Perian.prefPane

RDUSB0050Pref.prefPane

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools:

com.bombich.ccc

com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper

/Library/QuickLook:

GBQLGenerator.qlgenerator

iBooksAuthor.qlgenerator

iWork.qlgenerator

/Library/QuickTime:

AC3MovieImport.component

AppleIntermediateCodec.component

AppleMPEG2Codec.component

CanonMJPEGAVI.component

CanonMJPEGAVIDec.component

CanonText.component

DivX Decoder.component

DivX Encoder.component

Flip4Mac WMV Advanced.component

Flip4Mac WMV Export.component

Flip4Mac WMV Import.component

Perian.component

/Library/ScriptingAdditions:

/Library/Services:

CurioService.service

/Library/Spotlight:

GBSpotlightImporter.mdimporter

LogicPro.mdimporter

Microsoft Entourage.mdimporter

Microsoft Office.mdimporter

iBooksAuthor.mdimporter

iWeb.mdimporter

iWork.mdimporter

/Library/StartupItems:

HWNetMgr

HWPortDetect

RDUSB0050Startup

RetroRun

TcpPep

/etc/mach_init.d:

/etc/mach_init_per_login_session.d:

/etc/mach_init_per_user.d:

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins:

SkypeABDialer.bundle

SkypeABSMS.bundle

Library/Fonts:

Library/Input Methods:

.localized

Library/Internet Plug-Ins:

.DS_Store

Google Earth Web Plug-in.plugin

Library/Keyboard Layouts:

Library/LaunchAgents:

com.apple.AddressBook.ScheduledSync.PHXCardDAVSource.E359B4A3-7086-4A6A-BB9F-C90 368A47AD3.plist

com.divx.agent.postinstall.plist

com.google.keystone.agent.plist

Library/PreferencePanes:

Library/QuicKeys:

Clips

Global Variables

PlugIns

Shortcuts

Toolbars

Library/Services:

CurioService.service

GraphicConverter.service

Step 5:

iTunesHelper, QuicKeys, Calculator, VMware Fusion Helper, BassJumpMenuExtra, What's on iTunes, VMware Fusion Start Menu, Dropbox

Sep 23, 2012 10:33 AM in response to Linc Davis

I'm backed up. Unistalled DNSCrypt manually (using AppDelete Lite). Tested: not resolved.

However today I am able to get through the daw.apple.com... to the sign up page and after that to this thread, but it took approx 7 minutes. Still unable to even get close to my banks home page. So still unresolved.

There has to be a problem with the certificates? As everything else is zippy and without problems can RAID have anything to do with this?

Sep 23, 2012 11:51 AM in response to jepril

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combinationshift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

Drag or copy — do not type — the following line into the Terminal window:

curl -I https://discussions.apple.com

Press return. You should almost instantly get several lines of output below what you entered, the first of which begins with something like this:

HTTP/1.1

If there's no output within ten seconds, consider that a failure. You can then quit Terminal. Post your results.

Cannot connect to https or encrypted sites (banks, pay-sites etc)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.