Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck on start up screen after installing Mountain Lion.

I installed Mountain Lion and when my computer restarted it will not go pass the start up page. Any ideas?

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 10:58 AM

9 replies

Sep 23, 2012 6:24 AM in response to Carlo TD

Do you honestly think that I wouldn't have tried that before posting here? I spoke with 4 different Apple techs and all of them were baffled. The result was that my HD had to erased. As a result of that most of my software (Photoshop, etc.) cannot be reinstalled. I am not made of money and cannot buy newere versions of my software. Without this software I cannot do my job and make money.

Sep 23, 2012 7:00 AM in response to Keane_Eddie

If you're going to ask questions, then provide 0 details on what you've previously attempted to resolve it you should expect to get the first basic steps of troubleshooting.

You COULD have also tried booting into safemode to repair the disk, although you may have already attempted that and neglected mentioning that as well.

Beyond that, you should always have a reliable backup or the install discs for your software, and Apple even warns you of that before upgrading.

Sep 23, 2012 7:24 AM in response to stoopkidsgonnaleave

Booted in safemode. As I said, even the 4 Apple techs were baffled.

Install discs do not help the fact that the software I used in Snow Leopard no longer works in Mountain Lion. This is something that needs to mentioned more and more. All most people say about Mountain Lion is how great it is. So far, I prefer Snow Leopard. Someone has to present an opposing view of the new OS X. I'm sure that it has it's positives, but costing people more money to buy new software that worked previously is not cool. Not everyone is made of money.

What should be mentioned up front are the issues between Mountain Lion and Photoshop.

Sep 23, 2012 8:06 AM in response to Keane_Eddie

The fact that your version of Photoshop is incompatible with Mountain Lion is completely unreleated to why your installation had an error.If you'd like to read more about Apple's incompatible software functions heres an article on it:

About incompatible software (Mac OS X v10.6, OS X Lion, OS X Mountain Lion)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3258

Additionally when you upgrade and have third party applications, it'd be wise to look around before doing a major operating system upgrade. Just searching for 30 seconds I found this from Adobe's blog:

http://blogs.adobe.com/vikrant/2012/07/adobe-creative-suite-and-mountain-lion-ma c-os-x-10-8/

It's on you to take personal accountability for what you add to your Mac. Sorry.

Sep 23, 2012 8:45 AM in response to Keane_Eddie

Well if you had done a standard installation and everything went through smoothly, certain things like your Mail and iPhoto application databases could be upgraded and cause an issue where you can't use them with Snow Leopard.

But if you had to do a totally fresh install, you certainly can. Boot from the Snow Leopard disk, use Disk Utility (its under the Utilities menu) to clear the entire drive ( not just the partion) and then install Snow Leopard.

After that you can reinstall Photoshop and whatever else you'd like. If you use Time Machine and haven't plugged it in since upgrading to Mountain Lion, should be able to restore that too.

If you're near an Apple store and having trouble, take it in as they can certainly help you do this. I used to work for Apple and techs over the phone can often miss a mark because it's tough when you're not able to see the screen.

Stuck on start up screen after installing Mountain Lion.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.