Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 and Car Stereo Control

I called up Apple to ask this question and they had no idea how to answer it so I figured I would try here. I have a Pioneer car stereo which has the ability to control my iPod/iPhone using their special cable; I can access all of my playlists and music through the stereo and even play video from it. Does anyone know if the iPhone 5 supports being controlled from a car stereo? I can't try it since I can't find the Lightning dock adapter cable anywhere.. Everything I'm reading online says the new lighting connector doesn't support iPod / video out which supposedly means it can't be controlled by external devices such as my car stereo. When I called Apple to verify this they couldn't answer the question. Has anyone gotten their hands on an adapter and tried controlling your iPhone 5 with your car stereo?

-Keith

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 11:03 AM

7 replies

Sep 26, 2012 2:24 PM in response to LI Keither

You can't. I have plugged my iPhone 5 into my car stereo via USB and it doesn't even work. I just get an error message.

The bluetooth connection method works, kind of. The audio will transmit, but I can no longer control the phone through the stereo, nor does it show the track name/album art anymore.

I consider this to be a big problem and I deeply regret being an early adopter.

Sep 28, 2012 8:10 PM in response to LI Keither

I have a Pioneer with GPS/Stereo and an iPhone 5. The Bluetooth connectivity works fine for music. I get track info on screen and can skip track from my steering wheel as usual. However, I haven't tested the wired connection because adapters are back ordered. I've read in several places that the adapter won't work because of digital to analog audio conversion, but I plan to try it to see for myself.

I also emailed Pioneer to ask about replacement cables compatible with the iPhone 5 connector. They replied that they are evaluating it and have no other info at this time.

Sep 28, 2012 8:14 PM in response to supermurph

supermurph wrote:

I have a Pioneer with GPS/Stereo and an iPhone 5. The Bluetooth connectivity works fine for music. I get track info on screen and can skip track from my steering wheel as usual. However, I haven't tested the wired connection because adapters are back ordered. I've read in several places that the adapter won't work because of digital to analog audio conversion, but I plan to try it to see for myself.

I also emailed Pioneer to ask about replacement cables compatible with the iPhone 5 connector. They replied that they are evaluating it and have no other info at this time.

Out of curiosity what kind of adapter do you mean?

Oct 1, 2012 7:54 AM in response to masochistmonkey

I have an iPhone 4s, and it worked perfectly with iOS 5. I could control the phone through my car. It would show the track name/info. But since upgrading to iOS 6 I have lost all of that. I checked on the phone, and it is seeing the car as an AirPlay device. So now its doing the opposite of what I want, it is allowing me to control the car audio through my phone, when what I want is to control the phone thorough my car.

Oct 17, 2012 7:44 PM in response to Joe5150

I ordered 1 of each type of adapter from Apple to see which I like better. This one came today and I tried it in my car.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD824ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter-02-m?fno de=48

Surprisingly, it worked great for what I do. However the Advanced App Mode did not work. So, it charged and fully enabled music capabilities from the iPod and Pandora on my iPhone 5. I'm able to control songs, playlists, Pandora stations, etc. from the radio screen and it displays album art.

The Advanced App Mode doesn't work at all. That is apps that work when the Pioneer App Radio app is launches on your phone. It allows you to access your calendar, maps, and some third party apps on the radio screen. I never use this so I'm not too heartbroken, but I was hopeful to try out the new turn by turn directions built in to the phone on my radio. I like the radio's GPS well enough, but the ability to set a course by voice on the phone (i.e., Siri) is pretty nice. We'll see if that works when/if Pioneer comes out with a new cable.

iPhone 5 and Car Stereo Control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.