Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air - Thunderbolt to HDMI on TV/Surround sound audio issues

I have my macbook air connected to my LG TV via thunderbolt to HDMI cable adapter. Picutre and audio (TV speakers) work great...but i can't get sound through my Panasonic entertainment center. I have an audio out cable running from my TV to entertainment center and audio works on the cable box/xbox/Blu Ray...but when i hook up the Macbook and set to the proper HDMI setting, I can not receive audio through my entertainment center. Any ideas?? Sound is much better through the entertainment center than the TV speakers and i'm trying to play music. Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5), LG 4700 TV, Panasonic Entertainment

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 11:14 AM

3 replies

Oct 23, 2012 7:36 PM in response to pec2402

I ran into a smiliar problem, banged my head against the wall and finally discovered a solution, so I figured I'd share.

Like many of you, my Thunderbolt audio output worked fine for a while then mysteriously stopped working one day. Upgrading to Mountain Lion wasn't the cause but also didn't help. Incidentally, the problem also manifested on my Bootcamp install.

-E

---

Problem

No audio output via Thunderbolt / mini Display Port when connecting Macbook Pro to an HDMI-based AV system. No additional output target is available under System Preferences > Sound > Output.

Solution

Configure the AV system to disable HDMI control, HDMI pass-thru and HDMI audio return channel (ARC). Details below.

Components

Macbook Pro (Mid-2012) with up-to-date Mountain Lion

moshi MiniDisplay Port to HDMI Adapter with Audio

AmazonBasics High Speed HDMI cable (3 feet)

Sony HT-SS380 AV system

Panasonic PT-AE900U projector

Root problem

The projector does not support HDMI audio (it's a projector) and the AV system passed this fact through to the Macbook pro. Thus the Mac reflected the fact that no additional audio output target was available

Problem diagnosis

On a hunch, I disconnected the projector from the AV system then reconnected the Macbook to the AV system. The additional audio output target was then available (SONY AVAMP) although the video obviously no longer worked.

Specific solution

On the HT-SS380 set "CTRL HDMI" to "OFF". This in turn turns off HDMI pass-through and HDMI audio return channel.

General solution

I suspect that this may represent a more general solution that can be applied in similar situations. If you're using an audio output device (projector, TV) that doesn't support HDMI audio, that fact may be forwarded to your Macbook, through your AV system. That in turn will disable the ability to output audio over Thunderbolt / mini Display Port.

Macbook Air - Thunderbolt to HDMI on TV/Surround sound audio issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.