Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you use Grab or something else in Mac to capture an ENTIRE window as an image, not just what is showing?

How do you capture an image of an ENTIRE window - including parts that are not visible on the screen?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8), I have a TIme Capsule

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 11:20 AM

3 replies

Sep 22, 2012 11:42 AM in response to Neocles

Key CombinationResult
Command+Shift+3Capture entire screen and save as a file
Command+Control+Shift+3Capture entire screen and copy to the clipboard
Command+Shift+4Capture dragged area and save as a file
Command+Control+Shift+4Capture dragged area and copy to the clipboard
Command+Shift+4 then Space barCapture a window, menu, desktop icon, or the menu bar and save as a file
Command+Control+Shift+4 then Space barCapture a window, menu, desktop icon, or the menu bar and copy to the clipboard

Sep 22, 2012 8:02 PM in response to Neocles

I do not know of a way to capture data not displayed by the app via grap or the Command-Shift-3 or similar commands.

Stuff not displayed is under the control the application. It may not even be rendered while off screen. If the application does not provide a way to send the entire document to the printer, then I do not know how to get Mac OS X looking in from the outside to do it.

Sep 23, 2012 3:09 PM in response to BobHarris

BobHarris wrote:

I do not know of a way to capture data not displayed by the app via grap or the Command-Shift-3 or similar commands.

This usually works, at least it does in Safari. Click inside the window, CMD+A, switch to TextEdit, CMD+N, and CMD+V. Might give you more than you wanted, but usually captures everything on the page.

how do you use Grab or something else in Mac to capture an ENTIRE window as an image, not just what is showing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.