I’m new on Mac. I have a new MBP retina display running on OSX 10.8.2. I used time capsule 2Tb as a external hard drive for Time Machine. It worked fine for about 10 days. Then it stopped backing up, not sure if it coincided in time with an upgrade of the operative system I did some days ago. At the beginning, TM didn’t report any error (for days). Airport is updated. TC has a lot of free GBs.
Since I noticed the problem I surfed the communities and found this is a common issue of users after upgrading to Mountain Lion. I tried many different solutions that were useful for many people, none of them worked for me. Let me show you some of these ways other people found to fix the bug.
- Checked the names of the MBP, TC and network, remove appostrophies and spaces in those names.
- Switched time machine off and on several times
- Tried to reconnect to the TC server by the finder, so trying to avoid a ghost hard drive it appeared on time machine
- Looked for a button to “Verify backups” that never appeared on my time machine menu
- Soft reset of the TC
- Full reset of the time machine
- Around a pair of dozens restarts (TC, TM, MBP, networks…)
- Excluded antivirus and dropbox files as potentially source of troubles
- Disable the option “Put the hard disks to sleep when possible” on the energy saver preferences
Right now, TM says it has None backups done, and I cannot use Time machine. When forcing a “Back up now” it spends a minute “Looking for backup disks” but it never finds anything. Today a couple of error messages have finally come up: one said something like The backup disk image “/Volumes/Data/xxxxxxx.sparsebundle” could not be accessed (error -1).
The other was an error number of four digits, starting in 6 (sorry I didn’t copy it).
I don’t care if I have to delete previous backups, it would be ok for me. However, I don’t want to erase other big amount of data stored in the TC that is different from the backup image. I tried to delete the backup image file from the TC but I couldn’t.
I need help, please. MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE