Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G3 Screen/Mouse Malfunction

Hi, I just got an old iMac G3 and plugged it in to troubleshoot. The computer booted just fine and I connected my mouse/keyboard to it (from an iMac G5) it seemed to work perfectly however after just a few minutes the mouse stopped moving and I restarted the computer to get the mouse working. Again the computer booted but the screen never showed anything it was just blank. I think the computer if fine, it gives the start-up sound and the fans/hard drive sound like they are spinning, but the screen remains dark. Would anyone possible know what is causing this and what to focus on fixing? Thank you!!

iMac G3 PowerPC-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 12:43 PM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2012 11:33 AM in response to apple721

If the computer has been off wall power for more than a couple of hours, the internal backup battery is likely dead. The reset from the keyboard that kktizzy mentions can be diagnostic for a dead battery; if teh computer restats properly after the reset, the battery was likely the problem

The batteryis this one:

3.6v Newer Technology Lithium 1/2 AA PRAM Computer Clock Battery

and is user-serviceable. They are cheap online but, if you need one now and have a Radio Shack (Tandy) store locally, they have the proper battery as their part number 23-026. However it will cost4 to 5X the online price.

If your iMac is has a tray-loading optical drive, teh instructions ar ein teh orignal manual:

iMac G3 (Original) Installation Guide (Manual) - Apple

If it has a slot-loading optical drive, you can access the battery through the RAM door on teh bottom of the case. You may need so type of non-conductive tweezers/forceps to reach it.

Regardless of your iMac version, the battery shoud lest 3-5 years if the comptuer remains connected to power Without power, the battery life can drop to months.

iMac G3 Screen/Mouse Malfunction

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.