Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

had my iphone delivered today but after syncing my itunes, i was unable to get the usb cable out of my laptop, i had to use pliers to get the cable out,never had this problem with the 4,anyone else had this problem ?

i had my iphone 5 delivered today but i have encountered an unusal problem. i was unable to take the usb cable out of my laptop after syncing itunes. i had to resort to using pliers! it was stuck solid, i tried the 2nd usb port on my laptop and the same result, out came the pliers. this has never happened before on my 4.

i tried various other usb cables, including my old iphone 4 cable and they all worked fine. has anyone else had this ???

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 1:27 PM

Wow... no sorry I can't say I've had this issue... but I can tell you that I have noticed the new cable that came with the iphone 5 is a much tighter fit that the old ones... but not to the point of getting that stuck... at least not for me... I'd say to take that cable to the genius bar and see if it happens with their macs and if so ask them to swap it out for you

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2012 1:27 PM in response to pointblank69

Wow... no sorry I can't say I've had this issue... but I can tell you that I have noticed the new cable that came with the iphone 5 is a much tighter fit that the old ones... but not to the point of getting that stuck... at least not for me... I'd say to take that cable to the genius bar and see if it happens with their macs and if so ask them to swap it out for you

Sep 22, 2012 2:22 PM in response to Joe5150

I'd still say to take it in to the genius bar... even with marks if it's truly a manufacturing issue for that specific cable to where they need pliers to repmove it too... they most likely will swap it out... they are very good with things like this from my experience in the past with strange things like this...

I'd say just give it a shot.

Sep 22, 2012 3:32 PM in response to ShadyMac

There have been many threads on this issue, with everyone saying they had to slip a piece of paper in to slide the usb out. Everyone says "Don't pull it out!" They have found that rocking it out works better. The theory was that the two rectangular recesses in the metal USB mail plug are too deep and cause the cable to get caught in whatever it is plugged into.

Sep 22, 2012 3:57 PM in response to pointblank69

I'm currently experiencing the same issue. I plugged my USB into my car stereo and I CANT pull it out. I've already used unnecessary strength attempting to pull it out but I didn't won't be to aggressive and damage my car and/or phone cable. I'm HIGHLY frustrated at the moment and the irony of it all is that I was just saying I need a new car charger -___-.

Sep 22, 2012 11:55 PM in response to pointblank69

Same problem.

I plugged the USB cable into the usb to wall adapter that came with the phone. After charging the phone i wanted to load my backup from itunes. But the cord was stuck in the adaptor. It was so stuck that when i tried to rock it left and right and eventually the plastic piece covering the metal connections broke free with the cord was even out. This is a major issue.

My friend is also having issues with his cable that is connected to his mac. But its not as bad.

Sep 23, 2012 12:12 AM in response to pointblank69

I had the same problem.... It was stuck solid in the USB port of computer. I took the laptop into apple store and they took it out with pliers ... And replaced the cord for me....

When looking at the old USB from iPhone 4 and the USB from the new iPhone 5.... You can see a big difference in the 2.

Looks like Apple may have to change this glitz. I am not game to do any backups or sinc until absolutely nessesary !!!

Not happy at all !!!

Big thumbs down to Apple .... How many USB's ports are going to be ruined due to this ???

Sep 24, 2012 2:16 AM in response to pointblank69

I have the same problem on my Packard Bell laptop. The cable is jammed solid in the USB port and will not budge!?!?! Got sore fingers with all that pulling I have done this morning, not in the best of mood right now.

I've Decided to take my laptop to a local computer repair shop and get them to remove it. I'm hoping I havent damged the USB port with all that aggression.

I have called Apple and they have assured me that they will supply me with a new USB cable. Fingers crossed.

had my iphone delivered today but after syncing my itunes, i was unable to get the usb cable out of my laptop, i had to use pliers to get the cable out,never had this problem with the 4,anyone else had this problem ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.