Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgot Login password

I have no idea how to reset my account password. Not my Apple ID, but my macbook account login password. I never even set up a password but now trying to install a flash player, it says i need to enter the user password in order to install it, but i do not even remember entering a user password in the first place, but when i go into my system options to set one up, it says i need to enter my previous password, which i dont have. What do i do?

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 3:34 PM

1 reply

Sep 22, 2012 7:33 PM in response to Eric G-son

On Lion or Mountain Lion, you use the following technique to reset the Administrators password:

Boot to your Recovery Partition, by holding down the Option key while starting, and then selecting the Recovery HD as the boot choice.

Once booted, at the top of the screen is a menu ..., select Utilities / Terminal from the menu bar.

In the Terminal window, type “resetpassword” (without the quotes) and press return. A “Reset Password” window will open. Select your boot volume (your SSD drive) if it is not already selected. Select your administrators username from the menu labeled “Select the user account” if it is not already selected. Follow the prompts to reset the password. Restart the computer from the apple menu.

Forgot Login password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.