Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I upgrade 10.4.11 to Lion?

Hi everyone i recently bought a Powerbook G4 for my aunt and was wondering is there any way i can upgrade this 10.4.11 to the newest OSX? I've read some pages that claim you have to first buy leopard then you can upgrade. If anyone knows what i can do, please respond. Thank you

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 4:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 3:38 AM

Hello,

Your PowerBook G4 runs a PowerPc processor which is not compatible with the latest Mac OS.

In 2006 when apple launched the MacBooks they changed the architecture type from PowerPC to Intel. They stopped making the PowerBook G4's and dropped the PowerPC processors.

Mac OS X 10.6 snow Leopard, 10.7 lion and the new 10.8 Mountain Lion only run on Macs with the Intel processors.

The most you could update your PowerBook to is mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard (2009)

Hope this helps

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2012 3:38 AM in response to kevin fromsan jose

Hello,

Your PowerBook G4 runs a PowerPc processor which is not compatible with the latest Mac OS.

In 2006 when apple launched the MacBooks they changed the architecture type from PowerPC to Intel. They stopped making the PowerBook G4's and dropped the PowerPC processors.

Mac OS X 10.6 snow Leopard, 10.7 lion and the new 10.8 Mountain Lion only run on Macs with the Intel processors.

The most you could update your PowerBook to is mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard (2009)

Hope this helps

Sep 24, 2012 3:54 PM in response to kevin fromsan jose

OS X 10.5 is no longer sold by Apple. hardcoremac.com still sells new copies, however, like the open market, they are pricey. If you go to the used market, don't buy a gray-faced 10.5 disk, as it won't work on a Powerbook. The gray-faced disks are locked to the system type they were delivered with, and they were never delivered with any Powerbook model. You will want to buy a black-faced retail version.

Once you install OS X 10.5, you can use Software Update to bring it to the last release of 10.5.8.

How can I upgrade 10.4.11 to Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.