Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility says there's no room on disk when "info" says there is

I wanted to create a password-protected 498 GB disk image on a new 500 GB external hard drive. So I successfully created the disk image but I forgot to ask for encryption so the new disk image is unprotected. Realizing this, I erased the drive to start over and the "info" says 498 GB free. But when I try to create a new disk image, Disk Utility keeps saying "cannot create disk image - not enough room." What can I do?

G5, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 10:19 PM

Hi , and a warm welcome to the forums! 🙂

Could be many things, we should start with this...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

If perchance you can't find your install Disc, or are running 10.7+, at least try it from the Safe Boot part onward.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2012 10:19 PM in response to oz_

Hi , and a warm welcome to the forums! 🙂

Could be many things, we should start with this...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

If perchance you can't find your install Disc, or are running 10.7+, at least try it from the Safe Boot part onward.

Disk Utility says there's no room on disk when "info" says there is

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.