13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2013 11:50 AM by fjr_birddog
sbruno123 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi there,

My pioneer car stereo (AVH-P3400BH) is unable to control audio that is playing over bluetooth on my iphone 5. Also, no audio meta data shows up on the car audio console. I was able to control bluetooth audio and view song meta on my iphone 4 after I upgraded to iOS 6.)

iPhone 5, iOS 6
  • 1. Re: iphone 5 does not work with bluetooth car audio controls
    BoZzZz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same here.. I have an Alpine, and prior to the update I could change songs via the unit, I could see the songs info on the screen etc. Now I have no control over it whatsoever.. Had I know this I obviously wouldn't have updated to IOS 6 on my 4S until and IF this (And some WiFi) issues were resolved.. I believe we can't even Roll back to the previous version.

I havent yet checked to see if incoming or outgoing calls work still.

• 2. Re: iphone 5 does not work with bluetooth car audio controls
    Knightzend Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I am also having this problem with my Alpine CDE-133BT.  Very annoying indeed.

• 3. Re: iphone 5 does not work with bluetooth car audio controls
    dsj22 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Same. Have Pioneer AVH P2400BT. Won't work with iOS 6.

• 4. Re: iphone 5 does not work with bluetooth car audio controls
    jrwagz Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

@sbruno123 - So you claim that your iPhone4 still has bluetooth audio track display and control on your AVH-P3400BH while your iPhone5 does not?

I too am having troubles with my iPhone5 on a AVH-P2400BT, and I figured it was related to iOS 6 and not the iPhone 5.  Although strangely enough I am able to advance tracks on my iPhone5 via my DEH-P7100BT.  Has anybody else been able to determine if this is related to iOS 6 or iPhone5 or both?

• 5. Re: iphone 5 does not work with bluetooth car audio controls
    auto24 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

me too cant answer my phone when connected to radio bluetooth had no problems before ios 6 & i phone 5 hope there is a update to fix this

• 6. Re: iphone 5 does not work with bluetooth car audio controls
    dsj22 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I have iphone 4 and ios 5 worked ios 6 does not. Wife has iphone 4s and same with her. It sounds like ios 6 (?new MAP bluetooth) issue.

• 7. Re: iphone 5 does not work with bluetooth car audio controls

Hi jrwagz,

I recall it still working after I updated my iphone4 to iOS6 this past Weds. Unfortunately, I sold my iphone4 to a friend on Friday so I cannot re-test. Hopefully this is a software issue! 

• 8. Re: iphone 5 does not work with bluetooth car audio controls

Looks like others who updated to iOS 6 are also having the problem, so I must be mistaken

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19639487#19639487

• 9. Re: iphone 5 does not work with bluetooth car audio controls
    Dr Agonlord Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Iphone 5, IOS 6. Pioneer DEH-6400bt. Same problems you guys are having. I had an iphone 4 on 5.1.1 prior to getting new iphone 5, the 4 worked flawlessly with the steering wheel controls and bluetooth, changing tracks as it should. I phone 5 however, not so good. It pairs fine with the head unit, but then sits silently waiting. If I select play via the iphone it plays through the BT but does not respond to steering wheel controls. I can make calls via the Head unit, though I havent tried incoming calls. I miss getting in the car, starting the engine and the Iphone supplying music with no further input needed, but as it stands, nothing happens after the units have auto paired UNTIL i select a track manually on the iphone. Annoying. Yet another tweak to something that dents the new phone experience. Its like stepping back in time, having to refer to the phone screen to change tracks when the iphone 4 did everything from the car controls.  AAArgh.

• 10. Re: iphone 5 does not work with bluetooth car audio controls
    jrwagz Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

See the other post on this topic:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19639487#19639487

So good news to anyone else who has a Pioneer head unit. Pioneer has completed their compatibility testing of most of all of their newer head units using iOS 6 running on iPhone 4/4S and 5. So it looks like there is a clear AVRCP issue with a number of their head units (including mine unfortunately) for all iPhone models and it looks like Pioneer is planning to release a firmware update to address the issue, although an ETA has not yet been announced. Maybe this actually is an issue with the software on the other devices and not iOS 6. Either way Apple needs to be working more closely with device manufacturers to ensure compatibiliy with features prior to public release.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Apple+Compatibility

• 11. Re: iphone 5 does not work with bluetooth car audio controls
    fjr_birddog Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/support/software/AVH-2400BT/page.html

I have successfully updated my NORTH AMERICAN Pioneer AVH-P2400BT using the file from Pioneer's website.  All meta-data is back, all controls are working as befor IOS 6.  The issue of "clogging" when switching from Music to Podcast (because of the new Podcast APP) seems to have been addressed as well.

Pioneer's instructions for updating (Only available in Windows) are a bit kludgey, but if you read carefully, you can figure it out.

I D/L'd the update file to a desktop PC running Windows XP.  I don't have a Windows product with Bluetooth capability, so I transferred the file to a USB thumb drive.  I used my wife's MacBook to do the updating, following the Pioneer instruction sheet TO THE LETTER.Also, to make sure there were no interference issues, I POWERED DOWN my iPhone COMPLETELY.

When it came time to transfer the file from the MacBook to the AVH-P2400BT, I tried to drag-and-drop it from the thumb drive to the "update" folder in the AVH-P2400BT hierarchy.  That did not work - I did get a brief "transfering" dialog window on the MacBook, but nothing actually happened.  I had to use "Send File..." on the MacBook's Bluetooth menu and BROWSE to the update file on the thumb drive and the "update" folder on the AVH-P2400BT hierarchy.  The file began to transfer - That took less than a minute and the AVH-P2400BT display changed to "Updating" after the transfer was complete.  (Yes, there WAS a lost connection error message displayed on the MacBook, following the transfer - Pioneer's instructions say to ignore it.  It's logical, because Bluetooth would have to be turned off to be updated.)

The "Updating" took a little over a minute, and the display went to "Completed".  After verifying the correct software version, I powered up the iPhone and tested it.  Thank you, Pioneer for taking care of your customers for an issue you didn't cause.

I am still very disappointed in Apple for "breaking" Bluetooth compatibility.  Pioneer has made it right, but I know from reading all these forums that hundreds of other devices no longer function as desired or expected, and many will have no chance for a firmware update.

• 12. Re: iphone 5 does not work with bluetooth car audio controls

Great news! Could you post the link to the file on the pioneer website? I wasn't able to find it.

• 13. Re: iphone 5 does not work with bluetooth car audio controls
    fjr_birddog Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Sorry - I edited the message to include the link.

Refresh it and it should appear.  I'm cross-posting to other threads now.