Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5 screen not auto turning off

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a difference in how the new iPhone turns off. With my iPhone 4, I'd drop it in the trouser pocket and it would shut off within the 5 minutes, as set with auto lock. But for some reason the new phone stays on. I've forgotten to manually shut off the screen and found the phone on and the battery almost empty. Annoying, to say the least. The settings are exactly as they were with my previous phone, so I'm wondering if the touch screen technology for the new phone is different.

Anyone else found this? And, more importantly, has anyone else found a solution to fix it?

iPhone 5

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 12:25 AM

38 replies

Sep 24, 2012 10:39 PM in response to ggfromcp

there was this previous post in another thread having the same problem for the screen auto lock for iphone 4/4s after updating to IOS 6. Mentioning if the last button u used was the assistive touch, the screen will not auto lock. So I tried, after using my phone, I touched on the screen last and my screen auto lock after 1 min. Hope it works for the rest.

Sep 24, 2012 10:59 PM in response to ggfromcp

ggfromcp wrote:

yl_sheryl wrote:

...if the last button u used was the assistive touch, the screen will not auto lock...

Could you clarify. I've just had a look for it and can't find what you mean. Thanks!

Ah, just found it. Unfortunately that's not the issue for me, as I've (until just now) never opened or used this setting. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Sep 25, 2012 4:47 PM in response to ggfromcp

This is a real problem for my new iPhone 5. I have auto-lock set to one minute. It works less than 50% of the time. I do have Assistive Touch turned on under Accessibility. I had the same set-up on my iPhone 4 running iOS 5...never had a problem. My battery is going down prematurely because of this. Help. Please.

UPDATE: I tried the suggestion above. When I touch the screen last...auto lock works. If I don't, the screen stays on. Thanks for the help. I am hoping that a software update will fix this issue. For now, I am happy to know about this temporary fix.

Message was edited by: Linsam

iphone 5 screen not auto turning off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.