Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages: move footnote

I have a very long footnote that starts in a page and Pages automatically makes it to the subsequent page, occupying half the following page and only a bit of the page where it starts. Also, it leaves a big page break.

Is there any way to force the footnote to span across the first page occupying the empty space?

This is how it looks like now:

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 4:01 AM

5 replies

Oct 15, 2012 9:06 PM in response to pistacchio

I have exactly the same problem and would really like to here from Apple if a solution is on the way. Or any way to handle this.

(@fruhulda - Some subjects, like mine theology and philosophy tend to have long footnotes at times since a parallell discussion, that is not relevant to the main argument, might be justified.)

May 24, 2013 8:32 AM in response to pistacchio

Footnote as defined by the Macquarie Dictionary:

1. a note or comment at the foot of a page, referring to a specific part of the text on the page.

2. an added comment, of less importance than the main text.

Appendix as defined by the Macquarie Dictionary:

Matter which supplements the main text of a book, generally explanatory, statistical, or bibliographic material.

The relevant part of the word foonote is 'foot' i.e. at the bottom or end of a page. Any note or comment that extends over several pages is not a footnote; it belongs in an appendix.

The choice is a matter of style. You must decide whether your readers will really be interested in long parallel-discussions, or whether their interest can be held by weaving the threads into the main story.

Regards,

Ian.

Pages: move footnote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.