Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth PAN internet sharing (MACbookpro WIFI to mobile devices Bluetooth PAN)

Hi there,

Need help.

Has anyone succeeded in accomplishing this on MAC OS 10.6.8 snow leopard to a mobile device? I have successfully paired my mobile device to use bluetooth and able to use Bluetooth PAN for tethering (ie. able to share my mobile phone internet with my macbook pro) without any issues.

However, I encounter an issue when I want to do it the reverse way. Sharing my macbook pro internet connection with my mobile phone via bluetooth PAN.

The error message in the network preferences is "Bluetooth PAN has self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the internet." I belive the error message is for the internet function on my mobile phone as my mac's web browser is still able to surf the web nicely.

I have done the following.

1.Enabled internet sharing in System Preferences, "share your internet from: airport to computers using Bluetooth PAN"

2.Under Bluetooth preferences, Advanced, "share my internet connection with other Bluetooth devices" is selected.

3.Under Bluetooth preferences, Advanced, "serial ports that devices use to connect to this computer is selected and the key pairing option is selected too."

4.Under Bluetooth preferences, Advanced, I have enabled both types of of serial ports. I have "modem & rs-232." ports.

5.Paired my macbook pro with my mobile phone.

6.Have also try to update device services(while mobile phone is connected in Bluetooth PAN mode) via the gear icon in Bluetooth preferences.

7.In Network preferences, Bluetooth PAN, Advanced ->Settings are: Configure IPV4 address "Using DHCP". Have clicked on "Renew DHCP lease" but no success in getting a new IP address for my Bluetooth PAN connection.

The icon in network preferences for Bluetooth PAN is yellow.

The browser in my mobile phone shows no internet connection (when Bluetooth is paired correctly with the macbook pro).

In any case, anyone wonders why I'm trying to figure this out instead of using WIFI, it is because I want to share my WIFI internet connection of my macbook pro with my mobilephone. It is not possible to turn the macbook pro WIFI to hotspot. It will be very useful indeed if able to share the macbook pro's bluetooth PAN internet connection to 1 or more mobile devices with bluetooth. And also when out and about.

Looks like this is a common issue some years back. But there wasn't any solutions except to switch to WIFI hotspot sharing. Hope to be able to resolve this issue ASAP and share it with many before who has this problem. It should work out since apple has the internet sharing option out since years ago. Perhaps I missed out something here. Any help is appreciated, Thanks guys. Hear from you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 4:17 AM

1 reply

Bluetooth PAN internet sharing (MACbookpro WIFI to mobile devices Bluetooth PAN)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.