Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I need Cellular Data turned on to send/receive MMS?

So after over 3 hours on the phone with Verizon, Apple, then Verizon again trying to figure out why I can't send or receive mms messages unless Cellular Data is on, doing a hundred soft/hard/network/every reset imaginable, a Verizon rep this morning told me "you cannot use mms unless the cellular data is switched to "on", and there are NO PHONES that will allow you to send mms without it on".

Ok, so how come when I had flip phones that didn't even have data plans, I was able to send MMS? And the biggest question - how come I never ever turned my 3G on on my droid and yet could still send SMS? Why does the iPhone force me to keep cellular data on, eating away at my 150mb data plan that I can barely even afford and would rather only have wifi on?

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 4:51 AM

102 replies

Feb 27, 2017 11:21 AM in response to kkimball97

MMS is a hybrid text message where the text portion is sent over a cellular voice channel (as with SMS texts) but the graphic data (picture or video) is sent over a cellular data channel. With AT&T, if you have wifi calling enabled, MMS can use your wifi data connection. But without the active wifi calling feature, every cellular service provider on the planet will require cellular data be enabled in order to send or receive MMS messages.

Mar 7, 2017 2:04 PM in response to Apple user Nikari

Apple user Nikari wrote:

I am having the exact same problem with my 6s and thinking mobile data wasn't always a thing and everything was fine but now we NEED IT all of a sudden so sorry this probably doesn't help but just so You know your not the only one

There's nothing "all of a sudden" about it. MMS has always used cellular data, from the day it was invented. On dumb phones you paid for the message, rather than the data, but the phone still had a data connection. And, with some carriers, you still do; they will charge for the message (or include it in your message plan and not charge for the data), but cellular data still must be on for MMS to work.

Mar 7, 2017 3:27 PM in response to Apple user Nikari

Apple user Nikari wrote:

I am having the exact same problem with my 6s and thinking mobile data wasn't always a thing and everything was fine but now we NEED IT all of a sudden so sorry this probably doesn't help but just so You know your not the only one

Mobile or cellular data connections have indeed been a thing, ever since MMS was first offered (beginning about 2002/2003). It was the advent of cellular data transmissions that allowed the SMS text service to be expanded to include attachments that were not strictly ASCII text strings of 160 characters.

Mar 14, 2017 4:21 PM in response to aai92

I used to android phones and this is my first iPhone. It does the same thing to me if I try to send a message it won't go through but if I turn my data plan it will and when I have my data on and I missed a call and someone leaves me a voicemail that's when it'll show up on my phone. I go through Verizon as well. If they would of told me that I'd have to turn my data on to send texts and receive texts or voicemails I would not have gotten an iPhone. I never had to turn my data on to do any of those things with my old phones.

Mar 14, 2017 4:34 PM in response to Kortland_Elaine

Kortland_Elaine wrote:

I used to android phones and this is my first iPhone. It does the same thing to me if I try to send a message it won't go through but if I turn my data plan it will and when I have my data on and I missed a call and someone leaves me a voicemail that's when it'll show up on my phone. I go through Verizon as well. If they would of told me that I'd have to turn my data on to send texts and receive texts or voicemails I would not have gotten an iPhone. I never had to turn my data on to do any of those things with my old phones.

Visual Voicemail requires a data connection. You can still call into your voicemail the old fashioned way. And yes, on Android phones, you need to have data turned on in order to send MMS. I have an Android on Verizon so I was able to verify this.

You do not need data turned on with either an Android or an iPhone in order to send an SMS messages.

Mar 14, 2017 4:29 PM in response to Kortland_Elaine

Every phone that has Visual Voicemail needs cellular data turned on. That's because your carrier (Verizon in this case) does not know anything about your WiFi connection, and VVM is too much data to go as an SMS.

Likewise, MMS requires cellular data, for the same reason. Your carrier knows nothing about your WiFi network for sending MMS either.

This is true for all phones that can receive and send MMS, not just iPhones.

HOWEVER, Text messages do not require cellular data. They use the voice signaling channel (that's why they are limited to 160 characters). So SMS will be delivered with or without cellular data. And iMessages can use either WiFi or cellular data, because they have nothing to do with your carrier.

Mar 15, 2017 2:11 PM in response to kkimball97

kkimball97 wrote:

I actually only needed wifi never had to use my data at all when I was with at&t and I was on a plan not straight talk or go phone an actual plan then I went to verizon and can only send with data weather I have wifi or not

SMS does not use data, either WiFi or cellular. Only MMS requires cellular data. It requires cellular data on Verizon, and on AT&T, on Straight Talk. If you were sending pictures by iMessage to other Apple users, you can do that using WiFi.

Sep 23, 2012 5:16 AM in response to wjosten

That doesn't at all explain why I need "cellular data" toggled on for mms. Apple and Verizon both said mms uses your text messaging plan (which I have unlimited) and not your data plan. That seemed to be the case with my android because I never used my data plan. But with this iPhone 5 I have to have my data plan draining to be able to send or receive mms. It makes no sense.

Sep 23, 2012 7:11 AM in response to aai92

Look here, from Apple:

The following table shows the requirements and capabilities of Messages on iOS.

Device RequirediOS RequiredConnectivity RequiredRecipient Types AllowedContent Types Allowed
SMSiPhone1.0 and laterCellularPhone numberText only
MMSiPhone 3G and later3.1 and laterCellular dataPhone numberText, audio1, photos, and video
iMessageiPhone, iPad, or iPod touch5.0 and laterCellular data or Wi-FiPhone number or email addressText, audio1, photos, and video

See what it says about MMS? That answer your question.

Why do I need Cellular Data turned on to send/receive MMS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.