Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I buy and unlocked iPhone 5?

I have searched the Apple site for the buy an unlocked iPhone like that was there before the 5 was released and it is not there anymore. I want to buy my iPhone 5 unlocked so I can go prepaid so I am not over paying for a contract. I am in the military and I was able to get a iPhone 4s unlocked in the middle east in Bahrain, now that the 5 has come out I am going to be going back to the U.S. before they get them. I love having an unlocked iPhone but I want the 5 and all of the U.S. carriers want you to buy it locked with a two year contract then they will unlock it. That ***** because I would rather just pay full price and save the money I would waste on a two year plan. I feel like I am being contolled by the U.S. carriers, because they are forcing us to get a plan.

iPhone 5

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 6:13 AM

1 reply

Sep 23, 2012 6:25 AM in response to deron1234a

You'll have to wait for it to become available unlocked in the US. If history is an indicator, it will probably be announced anywhere from a few weeks to a month from now. Carrier demand has to be met first.

AT&T has a policy of unlocking iPhones for service members being deployed now, so it may not be as big a concern to you as it would have been previously to purchase a locked phone.

Can I buy and unlocked iPhone 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.