Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are iPhoto pictures located?

Where are iPhoto pictures located on my drive and is there a way to change that? Reason I need to know is that my hard drive is going south fast and after many hours of working with Alsoft's DiskWarrior somehow I have been able to get my internal drive to boot at least one last time. I do have a backup of my photos but not sure if I have ALL the photos. So wantto try to archive what is in iPhoto to an external drive while I still can. But I don't see where I could even change the loaction of my iPhoto pics. Any help would be greatly, appreciated, as soon as possible, as I am not al that confident that I will get a second chance to boot from this drive again. Thanks! I am using iPhoto 9 (Version 8.1.2).

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 8 gb RAM

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 7:42 AM

By default they are in your iPhoto library. It can be located on any drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled)

Since it is a SQLite database it must be kept intact. Your best rote us to drag it to the external drive intact as a single entity. This is the only way to keep everything

The original photos are in the Masters folder. You can copy it but you lose all work done in iPhoto. You will have only the original photos

Once the iPhoto library haves been moved to the EHD depress the option key and launch iPhoto and use the select library option to point to it

And you do not mention a backup. You must have a backup of your files are yor will lose them all including your photos sooner or later. You need another EHD At least 2 1/2 as large as your new internal drive and statprt Time Machine ASAP

LN

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2012 7:42 AM in response to Jeffrey Bivans

By default they are in your iPhoto library. It can be located on any drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled)

Since it is a SQLite database it must be kept intact. Your best rote us to drag it to the external drive intact as a single entity. This is the only way to keep everything

The original photos are in the Masters folder. You can copy it but you lose all work done in iPhoto. You will have only the original photos

Once the iPhoto library haves been moved to the EHD depress the option key and launch iPhoto and use the select library option to point to it

And you do not mention a backup. You must have a backup of your files are yor will lose them all including your photos sooner or later. You need another EHD At least 2 1/2 as large as your new internal drive and statprt Time Machine ASAP

LN

Where are iPhoto pictures located?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.