📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPadOS 18 is now available

Explore new ways to work with Apple Pencil, discover new experiences in apps, and customize iPad even further. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It is it safe to upgrade my ipad 2 w/ios5.1.1 to ios6 ?

It is safe to update my ipad 2 w/ ios5.1.1 to ios6?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 5.1.1, [9B206]

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 7:13 AM

2 replies

Sep 23, 2012 7:17 AM in response to Bumbeng

I had no problems whatsoever. But be smart about updating and be proactive. Whether you update OTA via WiFi or use iTunes - take the steps necessary to ensure that you will have everything saved.

What you should do anytime that you update the device is to transfer purchases from the iPad into iTunes - File>Transfer Purchases - and you should backup the iPad as well. When you update the update the device, if something goes wrong, you can restore from the backup.

However, iTunes should ask if you want to backup before you update, but just in case create the backup yourself before you update. The backup contains your app data and settings - along with other items - so make sure you backup first.

If you have any other important files, you may want to transfer them to your computer as well, prior to the update.

Transfer purchases.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1848

How to backup and restore from a backup

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

Sep 23, 2012 7:31 AM in response to Bumbeng

it should be no problem, i updated my ipad 2 yesterday and it works fine.

as sayed by Demo, make a back-up of your files, and before downloading: try to make as much space as you can (by deleting old files, replacing your ipad-made photos onto your pc and/or deleting not used programs), this will slim the change for your ipad to get stuck in the process.

altrough i like the update myself, be sure you want to update, because there will be some changes in interface and in the functions.

It is it safe to upgrade my ipad 2 w/ios5.1.1 to ios6 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.